Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
[www.mustang6g.com]

Essentially, the new Mustang "track" car wasn't outfitted with transmission/differential coolers (unlike Porsche models) as standard equipment--you have to buy a "Track Pack" to get them and some buyers are finding out that after 15 minutes or so as the cars will go into limp mode as the trannies/rear end get hot.
Ford--in their wisdom--has decided to make the tranny/differential coolers std. in the 2017 models but the existing owners could be be looking at a big bill to change this-if they can.

Another reason why some early adopters pay a high price for being the first.
Add to that, another example of how different car makers equip their cars differently, depending on what they think their buyers really need.
I agree Mike. When a manufacturer makes major changes to a car and specially the drivetrain, I prefer to wait a year or two before getting one until any potential bugs are discovered and fixed.

That seems pretty incredible to have the car go into limp mod after only 15 minutes of being driven hard. You'd think that Ford would have tried to actually drive this car on a track if that is what it's advertised to be designed for.
In this case it was to get the Base price under $50K--BUT--if you do some market research on your buyers and get a good feel how they are going to use the car, I would hope you'd equip the car with everything it needs for it's intended use. As you mentioned, this should have been known via track testing before it went into production and remedied. The base 350 comes with huge 6 pot Brembo calipers and brake rotors on the front--I don't think you need those for a Sunday drive to get an ice cream cone.

Regarding the 718, Guenter, I think you would be providing us all on the forum with a huge public service of being one of the first to own the new model and share your experienceswinking smiley.
MikenOH

Regarding the 718, Guenter, I think you would be providing us all on the forum with a huge public service of being one of the first to own the new model and share your experienceswinking smiley.

Mike, I'd be more than happy to provide this huge public service. All it would take is a little crowd sourcing to provide me with enough funds to buy a 718. Since it would be crowd funded, it would only be fair to let the funders choose the options. After I have a chance to share my experience, I'd be equally happy to provide other members use of the car on a ride share basis. Sounds like a win - win to me. smoking smiley
Guenter in Ontario
MikenOH

Mike, I'd be more than happy to provide this huge public service. All it would take is a little crowd sourcing to provide me with enough funds to buy a 718. Since it would be crowd funded, it would only be fair to let the funders choose the options. After I have a chance to share my experience, I'd be equally happy to provide other members use of the car on a ride share basis. Sounds like a win - win to me. smoking smiley

Now that is one heck of an idea; please post what the address is of your website and I will gladly make a contribution. Regarding the configuration, are there any "mandatory" options on the list as you see it?
MikenOH
Now that is one heck of an idea; please post what the address is of your website and I will gladly make a contribution. Regarding the configuration, are there any "mandatory" options on the list as you see it?

I figured the members here would be happy to just chip in (we've got a good crowd here.) I'll test / report on whatever they want. It'd be kind of "interesting" to check out one with:
  • Lava Orange (That way, I know Pedro will jump in with a BIG donation.)
  • 20" Carrera S wheels
  • Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System
  • Definitely will need one of these [www.soundracer.se]
  • full leather
  • Nav system
  • Adaptive Cruise Control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
  • 18 way Adaptive Sports Seats Plus with Memory package
  • Lane Change Assist
  • Heated seats
  • Vented seats
  • Vehicle Key Painted i.c.w. Leather Key Pouch Exclusive
  • Lane change assist
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Heated Steering wheel
  • PASM Sport Suspension
  • Sport Chrono
  • Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes
  • ....and of course PDK

Hope you appreciate the restraint I've shown in checking off boxes. I could have gone hog wild and included Power Steer Plus. But if the membership wants, I'll take a stripper model too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 04:27PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
-Lane Change Assist
-Vehicle Key Painted i.c.w. Leather Key Pouch Exclusive
-Heated Steering wheel
-Adaptive Cruise Control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS)

Good selection, Guenter; I elected not to go with these options on our car and have regretted it every day, especially painted key pouch.grinning smiley
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
MikenOH
-Lane Change Assist
-Heated Steering wheel

Good selection, Guenter; I elected not to go with these options on our car and have regretted it every day, especially painted key pouch.grinning smiley

Really surprised you didn't order the Adaptive Cruise Control, Mike. Wouldn't that save you a lot of work out on the track? You wouldn't have to waste your time watching the cars up ahead and could focus on other things like song selection on your infotainment system or picking up the popcorn you spilled in the last turn.
Guenter in Ontario
MikenOH
-Lane Change Assist
-Heated Steering wheel

Really surprised you didn't order the Adaptive Cruise Control, Mike. Wouldn't that save you a lot of work out on the track? You wouldn't have to waste your time watching the cars up ahead and could focus on other things like song selection on your infotainment system or picking up the popcorn you spilled in the last turn.

Absolutely--don't forget about texting,selfies and live video streams while circling the track--I really miss that. That mantra of looking head and keeping the correct line is way overrated.
MikenOH
Guenter in Ontario
MikenOH
-Lane Change Assist
-Heated Steering wheel

Absolutely--don't forget about texting,selfies and live video streams while circling the track--I really miss that. That mantra of looking head and keeping the correct line is way overrated.

Hey! That can be your next "big moment". Grab a selfie, smiling at the phone with wheel and popcorn flying across the dash in the background. It would give you an exciting pic to look at during recovery. eye popping smiley grinning smiley
Or, it's why you don't buy a "specialty" car from a sales force trained to sell square cars to square holes. Not sure how much the package costs, but sounds like some sales people lost out on a little extra commission by not pushing that package. I'm sure, however, they tried to sell the rust protection to each and every GT350 buyer. hot smiley
I've told this story before in another context:
When I bought my 88 CRX Si, I asked the sales guy what the break-in procedure was, giving him an example like, "keep below 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles." Mind you, the car's engine revs to something like 6700 rpm and gets to peak hp at maybe 6400, with torque peak maybe 3500 rpm. He said, "Oh, no, you never have to rev this car over 3500!" That was the last remotely technical question I asked. I just signed the papers and drove home.
db997S
Or, it's why you don't buy a "specialty" car from a sales force trained to sell square cars to square holes. Not sure how much the package costs, but sounds like some sales people lost out on a little extra commission by not pushing that package. I'm sure, however, they tried to sell the rust protection to each and every GT350 buyer. hot smiley

Along with "tire protection insurance", special no wax ever polymer coating and obligatory extended warranty--which of the bunch in my experience is needed with a Ford once you get beyond 40K miles.

Regarding the Track Package:
MagneRide Damping System, Integrated Driver Control (IDC) System, raised decklid spoiler, aluminum tower to tower brace, engine oil cooler, transmission cooler, differential cooler and heavy-duty front springs----$6500. I can see where if somebody wanted to play it skinny, he'd skip that package, but have a less capable car.

BTW, the oil cooler is std. on the 5.0 GT, but on the faster base GT350 you don't get one. Crazy....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 05:54PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Years ago after I bought my '96 Mustang GT with its 5-speed manual an owner in Germany posted on one of the Mustang boards his experience with his car, an automatic. Seems he took it out on the autobahn and drove at high speed, I do not recall the speed now but of course he was on an unlimited section and could travel at much higher speeds than legally allowed here in the USA, and his car's transmission acted up.

The owner took the car in and the diagnosis was the high speed running ruined the transmission. I do not recall now if the car was under warranty or out of warranty.

But this guy's experience opened me eyes to the fact that just because a car is capable of obtaining some pretty high speed it is not always built to properly handle the high speeds, at least for any length of time.

While I never hit the autobahn in my Mustang I did get it going quite fast and never had any problems, but I never was able to maintain this high speed for more than a few miles and minutes.

And to add some Boxster content I recall some years ago when driving across a western state which shall remain nameless and I had the opportunity for some sustained high speed running in my Boxster, in pretty high ambient heat too I might add, and the car/engine/drive train was unfazed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login