Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
nothing new but thought i'd post them anyway.

[www.asphalte.ch]

they aren't mine, they're from a swiss car website.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Thanks for posting.

I don't mind the 718's looks. It still looks much like a 981, which is a good thing.

Historically, Porsche's body changes have been described (accurately, I think) as 'evolutionary'. I don't know that I'd regard the 718's changes that way. For the most part, they strike me simply as 'changes'. Porsche knew it had to make some noise (if you'll pardon the expression) when they replaced the venerable 6 with the 4, adhering to the adage "the best defense is a good offense. So, in addition to trying to give the Boxster a new name, they changed some (or a lot) of the sheet metal and plastic - most notably the front and rear. They are indeed changes, and, to my eye, not offensive, but I don't see them as necessarily the way of the future.

Also on the linked page was this car, which may be one of those 'love it or hate it' designs. I like it, but then I like (athletic-looking) wagons.

[www.asphalte.ch]

It reminds me of this classic

[blog.hemmings.com]

Gary, I'm referring to the car (though the other is a lovely classic as well). winking smiley
I'm with you on the styling changes, Roger--pretty minimal and since they started with a good looking design it would take some work to muck it up.
The interior changes are all for the best--I like the new vent design.
Regarding the front and rear fascias, the front is really ho-hum with out any new styling exercise; the rear--after a few views--is starting to look better, but the Porsche "billboard" spoiler on the rear looks gauche.

Great pictures, BTW with some good close ups of the motor.
Given the proximity of the Turbo and Cat next to the firewall behind the passenger compartment, I wonder if they've upped the insulation to keep the heat out--maybe something like R-40.
Agree with your assessment of the 718 Roger.

Your taste for ugly wagons is odd, and that other lovely classic has, I bet, not stood the test of time. winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
I also agree with Roger's assessment of the 718 Boxster.

I'm sure, knowing Porsche, that the handling will be at least on par with the 981, no matter which suspension that you choose. It's just unfortunate that they no longer have a the analogue Sports Suspension. I'm sure the PASM Sport Suspension will be good. I just prefer the less complex system, specially if you have to start replacing parts.

In terms of looks. It's still a Boxster and that's a good thing. Yes they've made subtle changes to all the parts except front and rear lids, windshield and top. Most is seems just different, not better or worse, depending on individual taste. Same goes for the interior which is unchanged except for the dash vents - sort of a cross between 987 and 981 vents. Just different.

There are two things I do like better about the 982. I like the biped outside mirror better. And, the standard steering wheel is much better looking than the standard steering wheel of previous Boxsters.

The one thing that really spoils the car for me is the sound. In the interview about the 911R with Andreaus Preuninger, he also says that sound is one of the important elements of a true drivers car. So far, every sound clip I've heard of the 718 has been a disappointment. I realize that Porsche has been forced to play the numbers game with fuel economy cycles. Not sure what other options they might have had. Obviously a turbo 6 just didn't fit in the Boxster. In the comparison clips Roger and I had posted, the flat six conveys a sense of urgency as it builds into the resounding crescendo with the full orchestra coming into play during the Symphony in Flat Six. In simple terms, it sounds exciting. The turbo flat four never gives any sense of urgency. Maybe a step up from a boulevard cruiser. Of course it could be that all the 718 clips have been recorded with a cheap crappy microphone, but not likely.

I know some magazines have said they like the sound. Maybe on its own it's OK. I've just been spoiled with what has been the sound of the flat six. Hardees burgers taste great - but, just not the same if you've been used to eating BBQ's Texas steaks.

I think Auto Motor und Sport (which I think is the best German automotive magazine) put it the closest to the way I feel. From their passenger seat experience, they say they really liked the whole car. at the end, they had the "but". Essentially, they said that unfortunately they're going to have to get used to the sound. The flat six is an orchestra. The turbo flat four, despite the sports exhaust system's best efforts, is a juvenile pop band. (And currently, the PSE isn't even an option. I'm guessing it will be offered later.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login