Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
An interview with the engineers who design the way a car sounds. In this case they talk about the 718. It talks about everything that the engineers have to consider.

[www.youtube.com]
Interesting. Clearly, they worked hard to make the 718 sound as good as it could. The engineer doesn't pretend that the flat 4 mimics the sound of the.

In the video below, the Porsche rep explains the body changes, which are intended to make the 718 appear lower and wider. I'd say it worked.

But in doing so, they've flattened the wings (fenders) even more than they did with the 981.

To me, the distinctively raised and curved front fenders are as much a part of the Porsche sports car appearance as the 911 coupe's silhouette.

Porsche didn't sacrifice the curved fenders when the Carerra GT was designed (many of the design elements of which are in the 981 - most notably the sclupted doors leading to the intakes), and to me, they're playing with fire when they flatten the 718's 'wings'.

[m.youtube.com]
...just like the car rags who advertise them, the writers who are beholden to Porsche for the toys they test, and the sales people who have no choice but to talk up the product they're given to sell.

The 718 is lower, closer to the road, and the paint is soft. Even more chipping! European CAFE.

The flattening, as Roger pointed out, leaves me flat.

The engine is clearly inferior, even if it has more low end torque and a higher HP rating. There will be some turbo lag and MANual transmission drivers will hate it. More European CAFE!

All the potential issues of having a turbo less than a foot behind your head should make for lots of shop visits, and the sewing machine sounding exhaust will be sad.

The PORSCHE advertisement on the tail is right in your face. YUCK.

All in, it will cost more. Gotta maintain Porsche high margins and record profitability.

The steering wheel looks nice, as do the taillights, and the terrible PCM has finally been upgraded to PCM 4.0, which was long overdue.

....and they call the 718 progress. YUCK!

More like a PIG IN A POLK.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 09:39AM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
Gary in SoFL

....and they call the 718 progress. YUCK!

More like a PIG IN A POLK.

Thats "Pig in a Poke" - get your cliches right, Gary.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 11:47AM by Lawdevil & CURVN8R. (view changes)
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Wasn't it Polk who said:

Peace, plenty, and contentment reign throughout our borders, and our beloved country presents a sublime moral spectacle to the world.

My, how things have changed eye popping smiley

Guenter in Ontario
An interview with the engineers who design the way a car sounds. In this case they talk about the 718. It talks about everything that the engineers have to consider.

Back to Guenter's original post, given the time and effort that Porsche expended on the 718's sound, I would regard it as unlikely that the aftermarket will be able to improve on it.
Any time I've done video sound comparisons of the various aftermarket brands to stock, Fabspeed sounds the best to my ear/brain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 09:04PM by Laz. (view changes)
Roger987
Back to Guenter's original post, given the time and effort that Porsche expended on the 718's sound, I would regard it as unlikely that the aftermarket will be able to improve on it.

Here's what I think it boils down to:
  • a four cylinder is going to sound different from a 6 - whether it's a flat or V configuration.
  • The turbo will muffle the sound (even the new 911 sounds a bit more subdued - but better than the 718)
  • Since the torque comes on stronger at lower RPM's, the PDK in the video shifts at much lower RPM's (I'm referring to the comparison videos Roger and I posted.)

Going back to Laz's comatose Camery drivers reference some time ago, put them into a 718 and it might make their eyelids flutter. Put them into a 981 and it would wake them and have them [www.youtube.com]
I know in my previous post I was exaggerating to make a point.

I agree that on its own, the 718 sounds pretty good.

My "problem" is, that with my 981 S with its PSE, I have (and still do) experience that intimation of greatness. If I'm spending all that money (at least for me it's a lot) on a Porsche, why would I want to take s step back to "pretty good"?

That's why I think that someone new to Porsche will be happy with the 718. For my money and based on my experience, I want to be thrilled, not just happy, with my Boxster. And, thrilled I am, every time I settle behind the wheel, insert that key with my left hand and twist, to hear that fabulous flat six spring to life.
Being used to "cars as domestic appliances" they'll usually shift below 4000 until I point out the tach's redline and explain where the power really comes on. Then they experience the car's drivetrain for its true character; understanding how happy they, and the motor can be at 6000-plus rpm.
Laz
Being used to "cars as domestic appliances" they'll usually shift below 4000 until I point out the tach's redline and explain where the power really comes on. Then they experience the car's drivetrain for its true character; understanding how happy they, and the motor can be at 6000-plus rpm.

That reminds me of a tour we were on this past summer with 14 other Porsches. I had one of the other drivers with a 981 come over and he told me someone had told him he should come and talk to me about driving his car (which was well past the break in period). He told me about how careful he was with the car, being sure to keep it under 4K RPM. After I explained to him how and for what these engines were built and how they should be driven. He said he might give it a try the next day. I told him I'd be able to tell if he followed my advice at the end of the drive.

I wish I had a picture of his face when he got out of the car the next day. Although I wasn't behind him, from the grin on his face, I knew he had followed my suggestion. He was a happy camper - actually, driver.
except for the roof difference. Interesting to read the things that make this car special to the people who drove it. It sure all sounds pretty familiar to those of us lucky enough to own a 981.

Here's the 40,000 mile long term test wrap up done by C&D and what they have to say about this car (and of course the flat six)

[www.caranddriver.com]

It will be interesting to hear what testers of the 718 have to say. So far all the reports have been from reviewers in the passenger seat with the car being driven by a factory driver.
Because the Boxster was washed just before the roads got salted one more time, and there's been no rain, the ol' CRX was in use for about a week. A real rattle trap, buzzy exhaust system parts, and that four-banger thrrrr. Nice having an "aint got no spare, ain't got no jack, don't give a sh_t, I ain't never comin' back"* vehicle. In one trip took six contractor-size trash bags of windblown-over-the-winter yard detritus to the dump. (If there's a "next" house in my future: no trees!) It's now mostly my sUv, and serves its purpose. Well, most of the salt has migrated to my street's shoulders, and has pretty much disappeared from the main roads entirely... so today was the Day: the endogenous opioid neuropeptides have been unleashed!

*Courtesy of Tom Waits
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login