Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Clutch question
01blackum - 8 years ago
I have a 2008 Boxster with a 5 speed and 54k. It seems like the clutch is engaging higher than it used to. Like almost at the top of its travel. I don't notice any slippage, but I drive like my grandma. Can this be adjusted? Is it a sign of impending clutch replacement?

I've been lurking here for years, thanks for all the entertainment and info!
These clutches are hydraulically operated, not with cables which are adjustable.
As the friction plate wears it tends to engage at a higher point in the travel.
You just need to adapt or replace.
Happy Boxsting
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Clutch question
MarcW - 8 years ago
While the high engagement can be from excessive wear it may just be "normal", unless you tell me the pedal effort has gone up noticably of late.

My 2002 Boxster 5-speed's clutch has been a bit of a high enagement clutch since day 1. I had to adjust (adapt) by moving futher away from the steering wheel from where I normally position myself to use more leg and less foot ankle to work the clutch. Before I did this the clutch was a bit difficult to work smoothly.

Since the change the clutch is like a dream to use. And it has proven to be durable. Nealry 300K miles and the clutch is original..
Marc, you and your car are proof that if you know how to drive, clutches are long lasting.
If the effort remains similar, but the pickup point rises, and maybe its less linear, that could easily be air in the slave cyl.

A bleed is cheap and a good idea anyway to keep moisture and its corrosive effects out of your expensive bits.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
It is important you have the brake fluid flushed/bled every two years and at the same time have the clutch fluid flushed and bled too.

If you tell me this hasn't been done for say 18 months or so I'd recommend you have this done.

I let this service go for approx. 2.5 years and afterwards while the brakes were the same -- they were OK before the flush/bleed -- the clutch action and the shifting action were much improved.
Engagement effort hasn't changed any and I don't recall when the clutch fluid has been changed. Gonna guess it's been more than 18 months. Maybe i'm not remembering it correctly.
Well you should seriously consider doing this or having it done.

While it probably won't help the high engagement it can improve the clutch action and even improve shifting. While braking action probably won't be changed fresh fluid helps improve the life of the calipers and their pistons and their seals.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login