Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The new 911
Roger987 - 8 years ago
The May 2016 issue of Excellence contains an extremely positive review of the new 911, saying the sound is now a 'perfect singing voice', and that the new base Carrera has the previous Carrera S "well and truly beaten"... "in driveability and speed between and through bends".

There IS mention of turbo lag, which the author says is a "big notice if 2 or 3 gears too high at low road speeds".

Incidentally, the new base Carrera cab has a factory spec 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds (manual transmission). If I recall correctly the 981 Boxster S's time was stated to be 4.8 seconds (manual transmission), and the 718S is said to be 4.6

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 11:15AM by Roger987. (view changes)
As usual, the "official" specs for the Boxster S for 0 to 60 were pretty conservative. Car & Driver clocked the 981S at 4.2. I suspect real life numbers are somewhere in between.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Re: The new 911
Roger987 - 8 years ago
Was the C&D test a manual or PDK?

(The figures I quoted above were with the manual, which is not as quick 0-60)
Hardly ever think about the numbers, but in recent days loosely tried to quantify. All I know is the 981S gets there literally before you know it,
"He who knows he has enough is rich."
In other terms...

"The secret to having it all is knowing you already do!"

"Cool Prius!"

-Nobody
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
The C7D test was PDK.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
When have any of these reviews ever said the new version is a step backward? Probably never.
Re: The new 911
db997S - 8 years ago
Wonder if the 996 got that sort of review since it was a radical departure. Turbos are not all that radical for Porsche, so it still is more of the evolution aspect of their philosophy.
As I recall the reviewers liked the 996 but the faithful did not. The complaints were that the 996 looked too much like the Boxster. From the windshield forward, I believe, they were the same. At least they looked identical. The interiors looked alike. The standard materials used for the door panels and seats were not of the quality expected for a Porsche 911. The 996tt is a whole different matter. Here you get a 996 looker with a water-cooled Mezger engine making it to me the best buy in the P-car line up of used cars, i.e. cheap price, great performance.
Not sure if I agree with the comment about "the perfect singing voice" - heard one at the Dealer at its launch and it sounded rather tame to me. My Boxster has a better growl!

Ed

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login