Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Or neutral ...
Roger987 - 8 years ago
Quite remarkable there doesn't seem to be any sort of barrier, even a curb, to help prevent this sort of mishap.

Fortunately, the Porsche appears to have stopped short of a full dunking - maybe the rear-engine configuration saved the day?

On closer examination, the car may have got hung up on what appear to be pipes sticking out from the base of the concrete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 06:09PM by Roger987. (view changes)
The article should've said "fence" rather than "gate" for two reasons:
1) A gate could be left unlatched.
2) Per Google Maps that body of water is no more than a disconnected ditch, which is fortunate. If it was part of the nearby meer, salt water damage would've been a major issue.
[www.google.com]
"The dealers told Veldhuijzen that the car actually sustained minimal damage (another big rear-engine advantage, people: much better recovery from rolling forwards into a lake) and the car will be prepared for delivery."

ouch! if that were my car there's no way i would accept it. i wonder if the owner will even know about this. i'm guessing that with social media et al that he will but sheesh!!!

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Think of how careful one must be with jacking points. This event gives new meaning to that concept!
… at some the stuff that goes on before a customer gets a car and they never know about it.
I have inspected vehicles which are being sold by the original owner where I have found evidence of body filler and paint not from the factory.
The owner swears that he never had the car repaired, so he must have purchased it like that.
This has happened at least 3 times.
Either the dealer damaged it or even before the dealer took delivery, at the port.
Most of that damage gets fixed and is never reported.
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
and eavesdrop on the conversations.
"Oh, yeah, remember when we bounced that Lambo off a concrete bollard? Ha ha ha!"
Chevy Wagon bought as a 100 miles demo and 10 years later rust emerges and an investigation reveals prior repair work. No sense in complaining after that long.

I've also seen a guy pull up in a van and out in the open on the dealer's lot he begins spray painting bumpers on new cars where they needed it. And not just a few cars.
Pedro (Weston, FL)
… at some the stuff that goes on before a customer gets a car and they never know about it.
I have inspected vehicles which are being sold by the original owner where I have found evidence of body filler and paint not from the factory.
The owner swears that he never had the car repaired, so he must have purchased it like that.
This has happened at least 3 times.
Either the dealer damaged it or even before the dealer took delivery, at the port.
Most of that damage gets fixed and is never reported.
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

+1; wife had an '87'RX7 --purchased new--and when I was cleaning it up, getting it ready to be sold--I found filler and fiberglass tape in a rear corner that had obviously backed into something.
Many years ago, I knew a guy who worked in paint group of the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN. He said it was common for cars to get dinged / scratched in the lot after they came off the line and before they got loaded onto transport (or as they were being loaded). Those cars were brought back in and reworked.

I think we as owners have dreams of our cars being perfect little angels when they get delivered (or acquired used) if they look good, but variation and rework is part of almost every manufacturing process. Of course, that doesn't apply to mine spinning smiley sticking its tongue out.
Ryan_K
Many years ago, I knew a guy who worked in paint group of the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN. He said it was common for cars to get dinged / scratched in the lot after they came off the line and before they got loaded onto transport (or as they were being loaded). Those cars were brought back in and reworked.

I think we as owners have dreams of our cars being perfect little angels when they get delivered (or acquired used) if they look good, but variation and rework is part of almost every manufacturing process. Of course, that doesn't apply to mine spinning smiley sticking its tongue out.

dinged / scratched is one thing but this car went off a ledge, fell a significant distance onto its nose, and then by the looks of the tow truck, was just pulled back up which in my opinion could have caused more damage than the initial fall. never mind the cosmetic stuff, the potential for structural damage is very high. what about all the lines running underneath?

all i can say is that if i were paying that amount of money for that car, i simply would not accept delivery of it after that accident. period. end of story. heck, i wouldn't even accept that on a cheap car.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
frogster
"The dealers told Veldhuijzen that the car actually sustained minimal damage (another big rear-engine advantage, people: much better recovery from rolling forwards into a lake) and the car will be prepared for delivery."

ouch! if that were my car there's no way i would accept it. i wonder if the owner will even know about this. i'm guessing that with social media et al that he will but sheesh!!!

The water is less than 18" deep at that spot. Wet radiators.
Plus scraping damage.

Not a huge deal.
Tcar
frogster

The water is less than 18" deep at that spot. Wet radiators.
Plus scraping damage.

Not a huge deal.

My indirect experience is it is a big deal, at least to some owners.

Shortly after buying my new 2002 Boxster I came upon a very nice looking very low miles 2002 Carrera on the used lot at the Porsche dealer. I asked about the car. Seems the engine developed a tick shortly after the owner took delivery. The engine was fixed -- under warranty. The fix involved replacing the lifters on one bank. The owner refused the car back claiming his new car experience was severely impacted by knowing the car had to have its engine opened up so soon after he bought the car. The dealer managed to find a way to accommodate him.

In another more recent case a guy ordered a new GT3. It arrived but it was learned that the factory applied the protective film to the body too soon and this result in two spots on the body -- one on the spoiler and another on the top -- having some pattern in the clear coat from the plastic film. The car was sent to a body shop where the clear coat was block sanded smooth and then polished and I actually viewed the car and even though I was shown where the spots were I was unable to see any signs of anything amiss.

But the owner was quite soured on the car and as in the first case the dealer, a different dealer I might add, found a way to accommodate him.

Given how sensitive these two owners were I suspect knowing one's brand new and very expensive car suffered even a partial dip in the drink would have the owner refusing the car and rightly so. And I would hope the dealer would not offer the car and not disclose what happened to the car.
No Porsche but,
dak911 - 7 years ago
Some time ago, probably 30 years, I was on a BMW factory tour, at the end of the assembly the cars would "roll off", a driver would get into it and drive it to a lot.
Well, one car IIRC it was a 320, driver gets into car starts engine, loud BANG, car gets pushed off to the side ..... OOPS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login