Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
All,

I have searched the archives for a solution to this problem but have not been successful. Late last fall my 2001 Boxster S began to fail to allow me to use my key to remotely lock and unlock the car including opening either trunk. On occasion it would work if I was really close to the door. Of course I tried replacing the batteries in both key fobs more than once to no avail. I just decided to let it sit over the winter and take care of it in the spring. Now that I have the car out now I need to get this taken care of. The remote worked once today then proceeded to quit responding. I find nothing with my Durametric tool. I checked every fuse in the car and they are all fine. Is there a module that needs to be replaced and if so is this something I can do or would I have to take it to the dealer?

Thanks,

Neil
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Wyominguy
All,

I have searched the archives for a solution to this problem but have not been successful. Late last fall my 2001 Boxster S began to fail to allow me to use my key to remotely lock and unlock the car including opening either trunk. On occasion it would work if I was really close to the door. Of course I tried replacing the batteries in both key fobs more than once to no avail. I just decided to let it sit over the winter and take care of it in the spring. Now that I have the car out now I need to get this taken care of. The remote worked once today then proceeded to quit responding. I find nothing with my Durametric tool. I checked every fuse in the car and they are all fine. Is there a module that needs to be replaced and if so is this something I can do or would I have to take it to the dealer?

Thanks,

Neil

Were you able to with the Durametric query the security module for any error codes?

It happens with me but not very often -- once I stopped leaving the car key in my pocket when either around the house or the office -- one of my car keys stops working.

What I found was I had to resort to splitting the key head apart and reversing the battery in the battery holder for just a bit then flipping the battery the right way around and re-inserting it.

If this doesn't help and there are no security module error codes to perhaps provide a clue all I can think of is the antenna that picks up the key's transponder RF signal has a marginal connection and the transponder signal isn't getting through to the security module.

My info is if a key is inserted into the ignition and turned to start the car if the RFID pill's ID isn't received properly the security module will supply an error code to this effect. While the key transponder and RFID are two different RF circuits and handled by two different antenna I am thinking (hoping) that if the transponder signal is not received properly the security module could supply an error code indicating this. However I do not know if this is in fact what happens or even if it does happen if Durametric is able to retrieve the error code.

You may be able to gain access to the antenna and check its connection and possibly loosen this then retighten it and make the connection better -- surface corrosion being the problem. There have been a couple of DIY articles/write ups on how to modify in some way the antenna to improve its ability to pick up a key transponder signal at a longer distance away and this write up could provide you with the steps necessary to check the antenna's connection. And even of course make changes to irmprove the antenna's reception.
Not that it's necessary to doing this "fix," but wondering if it could actually be detrimental to some diode or whatever in the key's circuitry.
Laz
Not that it's necessary to doing this "fix," but wondering if it could actually be detrimental to some diode or whatever in the key's circuitry.

My info is just reversing the battery in the battery holder is sufficient to resurrect the key's circuit if it is capable of being resurrected by this technique.

While I may have pressed one of the buttons during a battery reversal event -- I really can't remember -- my advice is to not press any buttons. Why tempt fate by trying any of the buttons just in case it is possible to do something bad to the key's circuit?
Grant asked the key question: Both keys act the same?
If both keys act the same then the problem is with the car, which I highly doubt.
If you don't have a second key I'll assume that the problem is with the key's circuitry.
When you press a button on the remote and you don't get an immediate response, what do you do? Probably press the button harder!
Everyone does that. What eventually ends up happening is that the circuit board on the key develops a crack which initially is intermittent. With time, it stops working altogether.
If that's the case you'll need to replace the remote and program it into the car.
Good luck
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Both keys were acting the same last fall when the problem first appeared. The key I have always used most has now given up the ghost (no visible light when pressing) and it feels like nothing is happening when I press it. I am waiting for a replacement key head that is on its way from Sunset Porsche so I will check it out after getting it programmed. I will check the codes again tomorrow to see if something is there.

Thanks for the responses. I will post an update after I get the key.

Neil
All,

Well I finally got my new key head from Sunset Porsche and drove to Omaha Porsche to have it programmed. I am happy to report that everything now works great with that key. My other one would need replaced also if I was planning on using it much since it barely operates the remote functions (only occasionally and only when next to vehicle). BTW, Omaha Porsche was great! I wish there were still dealer here in Des Moines but I am happy to be only a two hour drive from a dealer compared to 10 hours when I lived in Wyoming.

Now on to fixing the non-functioning windshield washer pump for the windshield. The one for the headlights works fine.

Neil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2016 05:30PM by Wyominguy. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login