Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I remember driving to Suncoast Porsche while wintering in FL in '97 to see one. I finally bought one in March of '99. Hard to believe all the sand that's passed through the timer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 05:27PM by dennisafrompa. (view changes)
I just remembered my test drive in 2001; my first time in a Porsche since '74. Took a second drive at night because the sales guy wanted me to be sure about getting Litronics. I was predisposed to be ok with them because I'd put CibiƩ Z-Beams in both my Alfas. The lows had very sharp upper cut-offs like Litronics.
A nitpick:
The motor isn't really a dry sump type.

The article has writing style or typesetting issues, but many publishers don't want editors or proofreaders anymore.
(Yeah, I know: my post isn't exactly Shakespeare.)

Most of the comments are literate, rather than being Neanderthal scrawlings.
Dry sump.
grant - 8 years ago
Yea, in retrospect that's a big oversight - on the writer's part and Porsche's.

Its very limiting on the track and has cooked more than a few motors. Ergo my technosump.

Now i guess w can call it a dry sump aside from the fact that the sump is not dry, and there is no significant reservoir. But aside from that' its perfect.

I also find the defense of the 996-986 similarities amusingly weak "th3 911 had 5 gauges instead of 3 and a bigger windshield".

My heart beats faster just hearing the words :-)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 10:06AM by grant. (view changes)
"The 2013 Boxster S is sweet and viceless, but the powertrain is the heart of the package," wrote R&T contributor Steven Cole Smith after testing the car. "There are a lot of 'variables' in this engine-among them VarioCam Plus variable valve timing and lift, and the Variable Resonance intake manifold.

At full acceleration, the exhaust note is intoxicating, as all of these variables line up to create a yowl reminiscent of something far more exotic."
I still remember before I got my Boxster. Anytime a 911 or Boxster pulled up beside me at a traffic light, I'd lower my window and cross my fingers, hoping the driver was on his way to a hot date. smiling bouncing smiley
It's been an amazing 20 year run, which we have been on board for 17. Each new model has had their own personality, but the constant has been the unflappable handling.
The decision to use Toyota's lean manufacturing techniques was critical to getting the company turned around and by today's standards, is a given by most car makers.
We took a tour of the factory in 2000 and back then it looked like anything other than lean manufacturing---few automated processes, dozens of cars parked behind the main assembly building waiting "rework" because of a problem and watched welders take their lunches at their work station while sipping on a beer--we were very surprised.
Today's factory is very different--extensive use of automation throughout the building process--which may have led to the very high ratings Porsche gets in their consumer reliability surveys.
The 718's launch will be interesting to watch in the marketplace--lots of power for sure, but with a very different power plant relative to it's predecessors. I hope they got the design right and that the car continues to succeed in this segment of the car market.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
I remember the feeling of buying my first Porsche a 98 which I loved. Then came the comments that the Boxster was a ladies Porsche (not there is anything wrong with a woman driving a Porsche boxster )...well as it has evolved and my new one just arrived ..... bring it on ladies ( or gentlemen)
Thanks for the posting since I no longer buy R&T. In reading the article it says "The Porsche Boxster concept made its debut at the 1993 Detroit Auto Show. Designed by Harm Lagaay, the car was reminiscent of the 550 Spyder (from which the 718 RSK was developed) and reflected the evolutionary nature of Porsche's styling." HOWEVER, page 60 of R&T's December 1996 article on the Boxster says "Only 42 months have passed since the concept car made its debut at the 1993 Detroit auto show and caught the fancy of practically everyone. Here was a sports car that combined classic lines with contemporary styling, a car embodying the best of Porsche's past while showcasing its future. A German car. Designed by ... an American! Thirty-something and an admitted car-crazy, Wisconsin-born Grant Larson confided that his main inspiration was the Porsche RSK Spyder."

Are we to ignore its American roots?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login