Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Periodically I have trouble with my ignition switch not turning. I don't think it is the electrical part of the switch, and here's why:

When the switch is operating normally and I pull the key out of the ignition I hear a "clunk" which, I think, is the steering wheel lock engaging. Sometimes if there is some residual torque on the wheel, it is hard or impossible to turn the key. This is exactly the feeling I get when I'm having the problem.

When the key is not going to turn, the key slides in and out with no noise. Rocking the steering wheel to relieve the load on the steering lock will sometimes free up the key to turn, but sometimes not. I have tried graphite in the key slot which seemed to help, but now it takes a lot of trying and turning before it finally allows the key to turn. When It won't turn, if seems as if it is stopping at the point where the steering wheel lock should release and it is not releasing. So I think my problem is with the mechanical part of the lock, not the electrical. My car is a 2002 base Boxster and had the complete ignition switch assembly replaced in 2004 or 2005 so I think I have the upgraded and more expensive electrical part.

Does anyone have any similar experience and what does it take to fix it?

Thanks,

Al
I would still first pull the electric portion and inspect it.
It's been 10 years since it was installed.
If it's in good shape then I'd replace the mechanical part (pistol).
It's not that big a deal. Probably 2 - 2.5 hours but you have to remove the steering wheel and some dash trim pieces.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login