Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Was at the NYAS yesterday, and although there are the as-always issues with the lighting (super-bright, but almost eerie in color spectrum,) Lava Orange is a very impressive color (at least in that environment) that's hard to define in words: it's not simply a very orange orange, but has some... burned peach or somesuch to it, along with a touch of pink, which gives it a subtle fluorescence. The following link is to an image at Niello Porsche's site and it comes close to properly rendering the hue, but what others see will depend in part on their displays:
[niello.porschedealer.com]
(Doesn't end in "jpg" and I didn't want to take a copyright liberty by putting it on tinypic.)

Also, while pretty much remaining open-minded about the 718's styling, I did find the logo-on-black tail panel too blatant and distracting. It makes it seems like the spoiler is not quite up or down: a lack of surface resolution and implied functionality. Also the lights toward the bottom of the rear apron are, well, Japanese-ish. Yeah, they'd be ok on a Japanese car, but seem out of place on a Porsche. Also, I don't understand the functionality of such low-placed lights (reflectors?) A possible positive aesthetic quality is that they break up the somewhat bulbous quality the rear panel shapes and proportions take on from certain viewpoints. (This goes back to the 986, but there ought to be a better solution for what's not really much of a "problem." )
Thanks for posting.

You're right - that photo suggests peach/pink, but not in a bad way. The trouble with indoor lighting, especially at car dealerships, is some colours can really take on a different hue. Nonetheless, I'm not surprised that lava orange is more than a simple orange. Porsche has been known to offer certain paints with a broad colour shift, depending on the type, angle and intensity of light - it keeps things interesting.

I agree that the rear reflectors can visually break up the lower rear corners, and, like you, I think if that was the goal, there might be a way other than jumping on the 'me too' low rear reflector bandwagon. The reflectors certainly aren't hideous, but I've always appreciated that Porsche generally charted its own course, rather than following someone else's.
the lower pieces help to reestablish more pleasing (?) ratio of lights to body panels. And as previously mentioned, to break up the large panel surfaces. Consider too, how many horizontal elements the tails of the original 911s have, which add to the snug-to-the-road look; and how "pointy" or blade-like the side view silhouette is, rather than being, for lack of a better descriptor, "bulbous." (Yes, that word is a bit harsh.)

One other thing: I don't care for the 911's longitudinal cooling slats, especially in the case that one of the cars had something ancillary, like a third brake light or antenna or something positioned on the slats, which added a line flow conflict of sorts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2016 09:50AM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login