Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Thankfully, things were not as bad as they could be.

At cold start the CEL came on this AM. Since the car was out all night and we had a pretty good rain last night I thought it would be misfires. But it was P0134: Bank 1, sensor 1 interruption of signal.

So not as bad as it could be but still the CEL being on in the Boxster is a rare event, especially after I replaced the original exhaust manifolds, one with a loose converter brick, with a pair of used exhaust manifolds that had secure converter bricks.

However, I didn't know this at the time since I didn't have the OBD2 code reader handy to read the code. Ran my errands which required I turn off then start the engine again a few times and afterwards at home I swung by the other car to retrieve the code reader. When I went to connect it I then noticed the CEL was dark. I still pulled the code and P0134 came up. I did some O2 sensor tests and the voltage level to switch from rich to lean and from lean to rich on that sensor were higher and different than the other sensor.

So, when I have the car in middle of next week for its 300K mile service I am going to have the sensors replaced. They are going on 200K miles and based on this error code today at least one is signaling it is probably time to replace it.
The O2 sensors are used to adjust the mixture. They get less responsive over time. Incorrect mixture causes bad fuel economy and eventually to engine problems.

Typically they should be replaced much more often than 200k.
You are in an elite club! Congrats.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
... on reaching that milestone.
I wonder how many other Boxsters have also turned 300K miles.
I'm 30,000 away so that'll take me a couple of years.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I've not read of anyone hitting 300k on a Boxster before (on the original engine). On a Toyota or Honda, I guess it would be less spectacular to me, but really impressed that a Porsche engine would last that long without a major rebuild. Congrats Marc!

Pedro, is your 270k on its original engine?...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 12:58PM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
… porous blocks so my engine was replaced by Porsche at 21,000 miles.
They put in a remanufactured one.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Still impressive mileage. For some reason, I thought you once blew your engine while tracking it.
Re: Congrats...
MarcW - 8 years ago
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... on reaching that milestone.
I wonder how many other Boxsters have also turned 300K miles.
I'm 30,000 away so that'll take me a couple of years.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

In January of 2015 when I stopped at the Springfield MO Porsche dealer to get an oil/filter service which turned into a radiator replacement marathon the SM there told me there's a 2.5l Boxster running around with over 300K miles. That's the only other 300K mile Boxster I (kind of) know of.
… at least 2 in Europe (Italy and Germany) with over 500,000 Km.
There's probably less than a dozen altogether
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Amazing Guys! So much for IMS issues! Just took my 06 out for its spring run and got that warm fuzzy feeling all over again.Only 120,000 Kilometers so its really new
compared to above posts.Nice to Know that my ride could potentially hit 300000 miles one day!!
That's amazing. How much do you estimate you've spent on maintainance, excluding new tires and oil changes?
boxsterd
That's amazing. How much do you estimate you've spent on maintainance, excluding new tires and oil changes?

I can't even begin to estimate. Honestly, I can't recall the costs for maintenance. But it can't be that much. Excluding tires (avg. life 20K miles rears, 40K miles fronts) and oil changes (every 5K miles) what's left is intake air filter, cabin air filter, brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed, tranny/diff fluid services. The tranny/diff fluid services require just 0.3 hours labor and often the dealer gives me a break on the transmission fluid cost, thus this service is not really all that expensive. I can't recall the cost of plugs. There is no fuel filter to change. The coolant drain/refill while not called for by Porsche ends up happening every 4 to 5 years as first a busted a radiator from which the system lost all coolant then when it was time to do again a water pump went out and I had the coolant drained and refilled with fresh at the same time the water pump and T-stat were replaced.

Often times regular maintenance visits are an opportunity to have other things taken care of that need taking care of. For example, the upcoming 300K mile service includes an oil/filter service, probably new rear brakes (the rotor lips are looking pretty substantial), new O2 sensors -- one generated an error the other day -- and another attempt at getting that airbag warning light extinguished. Plus the tech has standing orders to inform me of any issues or problems he spots. I don't think a brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed is due just yet -- though if the rear brakes are done I'll have the brake/clutch fluid flushed and bled -- and the plugs are not due and the coils appear fine and there are no issues with the car that I know of. The clutch appears to be ok still and the shocks are fluid tight and the car still stays on the road and in its lane even on rough/bumpy road surfaces. Alignment stays good and tire wear is even and tire life is same as it always has been so suspension and steering are ok.

The bigger costs have been the repairs to address worn out parts. I can't recall the cost of these any more either though. There was a wheel bearing, AOS, some O2 sensors, water pump, fuel pump, coolant tank, rear window, another AOS, the biggie was the passenger side VarioCam solenoid and actuator, CV boots on the half shafts (the bearings/shafts were ok and were reused), another AOS, and some interior stuff. A passenger door lock assembly. A passenger door latch assembly/switch. Something similar on the driver's side door. Both window regulators. The plastic around the base of the windshield., Some underbody panels -- road debris takes it toll on these. Spark plug tube o-rings. Did I mention AOS? The engine is on its 3rd. They last 80K to 120K miles. A coolant cap. Two oil filler tube caps. These last approx. 150K miles. A gas cap and tether. A new top.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2016 07:52PM by MarcW. (view changes)
Wow. I have about 175k on mine and I think I've replaced all of them twice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login