Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Owners manual says to have looked at by Porsche authorized service provider. Has anyone found something simple to check before taking it in.

Thanks,

BarryL
2002 base 2.7, Tip
Seal Grey, 200,537 miles
Santa Cruz, CA
BarryL
Owners manual says to have looked at by Porsche authorized service provider. Has anyone found something simple to check before taking it in.

Thanks,

BarryL
2002 base 2.7, Tip
Seal Grey, 200,537 miles
Santa Cruz, CA

You need access to a Durametric or Porsche diagnostics computer to read the error code associated with the error. Even with the error code it is unlikely there is much you can do. There are not a lot of serviceable items associated with an airbag light being on. You might get lucky and the problem is a seat belt switch.

There may not be an error code. There wasn't in the case of the airbag light on in my 2002 2.7l 5-speed. The tech contacted Porsche and Porsche said to replace the airbag control module. The tech did that and the airbag light remained on. He never associated the new airbag control module with the car so he could return the controller to parts and I was not charged for this.

Then he borrowed an instrument cluster from another car, with the owner's permission, and installed it in my car's dash. The airbag light went dark.

The problem was diagnosed to be with the instrument cluster.

IIRC, this failure is due to the way the cluster warning lights (LEDs) are powered and controlled. They are powered all the time. To extinguish the LED a ground circuit must be interrupted. This requires an I/O pin at an output buffer be driven high. If this output buffer pin circuit fails -- and the pin goes low -- the LED comes on. This is a fail safe configuration.

Long story short a new instrument cluster was not a solution. The original cluster was sent to VDO Repair located in Lake Havasu City, AZ, where the VDO repair center is located that among other brands repairs Porsche clusters. The unit came back and was installed. The warning light remained on. I talked to the tech at the repair center afterwards and he said there is another way to repair the instrument cluster. (I was not charged for the ineffective/unsuccessful cluster repair and the dealer didn't charge me for the labor to remove/install the cluster.)

Anyhow, there is another way to repair this and next time I have the car in for service -- I drop it off tomorrow (for its 300K mile service) in fact when I attend the new 2017 911 intro at the dealer -- I will have the cluster removed and sent to Palo Alto Speedometer to have this addressed by another repair technique.

BTW, as best I can tell the VDO Repair center is no longer operating under that name and is no longer in Lake Havasu City, AZ. What comes up when I type in "vdorepair.com" is "http://autoparts.repair/" and the shipping addresses are located in Las Vegas, NV. But I think this time I'll give the Palo Alto place a chance.

For your situation, my best advice is to get the error codes read and from the code or codes then the tech should know what's wrong and the best way to fix it. It may be a bad seat belt switch or something relatively minor and thus relatively inexpensive to address. You want the airbags functional. There is too much at risk if one doesn't work right. And you never know. I have pics of my new 2008 Cayman S that got t-boned and both the driver and passenger airbags went off and probably saved my passenger -- a co-worker -- and myself from serious injury. While the car was totaled we we walked away unscathed. I do remember face planting the airbag as it deployed. Amazing technology.

Oh, I wanted to add consider visiting the repair center link I posted above, the "autoparts.repair" link. There are sections devoted to DIY repair. I didn't bother to visit the sections/read the info but there may be some info there that can help you do your own repair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2016 01:37AM by MarcW. (view changes)
Marc,
Thank you for sharing your experience and advice. I am now more motivated to get this looked asap. As usual Marc, you are a treasured source of information and invaluable to those of us who are planning on keeping our Boxsters indefinetly.

BarryL
2002 2.7 base tip
seal grey 200,537 miles
Santa Cruz, CA
He confirmed that it is often the seat belt switch....but well see if the light comes back on.

BarryL
He hooked up the diagnostic, read, and cleared the code at no cost and it took 5 minutes during my lunch hour. I followed his lead and will go back in if the light comes on again...
There are two fairly common faults that occur with the airbags, as well as things that "just break".

As marc said, you do need a porsche specific reader to understand what code you have. It need not be a durametric or Porsche diagnostic tool - others make and sell them - including PEDRO! (it nice BTW)

First thing to know - if the light is on, the airbag is off. You are likely NOT protected. fix it.

Common fault #1 is grounding. Many had issues with grounding where the airbag grounded to the chassis (986 mostly)

Common fault #2 is disconnecting the seat with the CAN-BUS on (meaning switch on). Was work done? Remember "disconnect" could be a loose connection

Common fault #3 is the clock-spring int he steering wheel.

But in any event step #1 is find out what the exact fault code is. Then go from there.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login