Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
During the repair process for a fried control unit, I had the key for my 2001 986 replaced by the dealer. It seemed to work only for some functions (front but not back trunk), then the light stopped working on it when I pressed the button (meaning, I assume a dead battery, although I'm surprised even a dealer would screw me on a battery). I am now locking and unlocking the door manually until I replace the battery, but when I unlock the car manually, the emergency flashers go on until I turn on the ignition. Is this all a consequence of a dead battery, the result of improper programming by the dealer or something else?

Thanks.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
JackintheBoxster
During the repair process for a fried control unit, I had the key for my 2001 986 replaced by the dealer. It seemed to work only for some functions (front but not back trunk), then the light stopped working on it when I pressed the button (meaning, I assume a dead battery, although I'm surprised even a dealer would screw me on a battery). I am now locking and unlocking the door manually until I replace the battery, but when I unlock the car manually, the emergency flashers go on until I turn on the ignition. Is this all a consequence of a dead battery, the result of improper programming by the dealer or something else?

Thanks.

Something else. Why/how did the control unit get fried? Was the underlying cause addressed? It is very likely with the proper Porsche diagnostic computer the security system could be queried for error codes and what these are, if there are any and I suspect there will be, would help to identify what is going on.

The key battery is probably ok. What often happens is the small key module circuit gets in a goofy state and can only be resurrected by reversing the battery in the battery holder. Doesn't take long and I avoid pushing any key buttons while the battery is installed reversed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login