Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
My PZero rear tires are at 4/32, fronts 6/32; when the rears get to 3/32 they will get replaced.
Not many choices:
1-PSS: about $1300; best all-around tire
2-BS SO-4--about $900; not quite as good a handling tire and heavy but $400 less than the PSS
3-PZero--$1100; responsive steering, a bit loud, mediocre in wet. I don't think I want another set.
4-Conti DW in +1 size--$900;smooth ride, quiet, good wet perf., not the most responsive.

Would appreciate comments from those that have replace their tires and what tire they chose.
With Goodyears again (19s) and have no complaints about them. Coincidentally I was on TireRack's site a couple days ago: the GYs are marked down, making me wonder if they're out of production. Perhaps Porsche will designate another tire as N-spec aside from the Pirellis and Yokohamas. My impression for a long while has been that Pirellis can wear quickly and be noisy, without being of higher performance in various parameters. As far as Yokohamas, and don't get me wrong, I love my Honda, and some of the best tires it's had were Yokohamas, but I just can't see my German Porsche wearing the brand. The Michelin Super Sports are enticing, but've read somewhere (here?) that their breakaway is sudden. I guess that's the price for being very responsive, and I wouldn't want that in the rain. The Bridgestones weren't particularly outstanding if I recall correctly, and as cited by Mike. Going +1 (Continental) doesn't interest me, as it, too, isn't "outstanding" enough to go that route.
The front Goodyears are still the originals and have plenty of tread depth. Gotta consider the winters have been on for a good part of the time: this past "season" from just before Thanksgiving to last weekend.
Last May before heading to BRBS, fronts were / are still in good shape, so replaced just the rears with PZeros to keep front and rears the same.
I think it depends on how you drive. I don't push the outer limits of my car, just good old fashioned spirited driving, and it is my daily driver. So, I went with the Continental D+W. Not only are they cheaper, but they give you more miles between sets. The downside, they seem to "bit" more abruptly. Taking a corner hard, somewhere in that process, they tend to all of a sudden grip and you have to make that oh-so slight adjustment to hold the line. Now, mine are not on a 981. I have them on a 997S with 19" wheels. That's a lot of rubber, especially in the rear. I'm hoping with age, just like with dogs and people, they'll have less of a bite. I've had Goodyears, but for whatever reason, it seems that when I need new rubber, they tend to stop production in my size. The times I've had Goodyear, though, they really give that continual grip, then begin to slide to let you know you're pushing it a bit too far. I've never been a big P-fan (P-car, yes, P-tire, no). Good luck. Tires are too expensive to change out before they are spent, and you can be "stuck" with them for a while.
db997S
I think it depends on how you drive. I don't push the outer limits of my car, just good old fashioned spirited driving, and it is my daily driver. So, I went with the Continental D+W. Not only are they cheaper, but they give you more miles between sets. The downside, they seem to "bit" more abruptly. Taking a corner hard, somewhere in that process, they tend to all of a sudden grip and you have to make that oh-so slight adjustment to hold the line. Now, mine are not on a 981. I have them on a 997S with 19" wheels. That's a lot of rubber, especially in the rear. I'm hoping with age, just like with dogs and people, they'll have less of a bite. I've had Goodyears, but for whatever reason, it seems that when I need new rubber, they tend to stop production in my size. The times I've had Goodyear, though, they really give that continual grip, then begin to slide to let you know you're pushing it a bit too far. I've never been a big P-fan (P-car, yes, P-tire, no). Good luck. Tires are too expensive to change out before they are spent, and you can be "stuck" with them for a while.

I also have used GY F1 on other cars and I liked them, but their prices had gotten a bit rich to the point where they are about the same price as the MPSS.

I've been thinking about the DW in a +1 size--245-275/40/19 with my only beef being the supposed lessened steering response, which is counter to what the X73 suspension is all about. Granted, these will be used just on the street, but I hate to screw up current level of steering response that we've gotten used to. As you mentioned, if you make a mistake with this you'll be living with it for a while unless you bite the bullet and dump good tires.
MikenOH
I also have used GY F1 on other cars and I liked them, but their prices had gotten a bit rich to the point where they are about the same price as the MPSS.

I've been thinking about the DW in a +1 size--245-275/40/19 with my only beef being the supposed lessened steering response, which is counter to what the X73 suspension is all about. Granted, these will be used just on the street, but I hate to screw up current level of steering response that we've gotten used to. As you mentioned, if you make a mistake with this you'll be living with it for a while unless you bite the bullet and dump good tires.

That's my thinking too, Mike. Some guy kinda talked me into that X73 suspension. winking smiley It would be a shame, if for the sake of saving a couple of hundred dollars it would dull the experience of that terrific handling.

Happy tire shopping.
Guenter in Ontario
MikenOH

That's my thinking too, Mike. Some guy kinda talked me into that X73 suspension. winking smiley It would be a shame, if for the sake of saving a couple of hundred dollars it would dull the experience of that terrific handling.

Happy tire shopping.

I think the message is to stop listening to "some guy" .winking smiley

Add to that, the PSS are way lighter in stock sizes than some of the alternatives--the S0-4 is 31lbs on the 265-40-19 vs. the PSS 25 lbs in the same size; an S0-4 set would weight 18lbs more than the PSS.

Lawdevil--The noise after 5K would be more than a bit disconcerting after having spent that kind of $; were they ground force balanced when installed?
I replaced the original P Zero tires with Michelin PSS. I liked thehandling but, after around 5,000 miles, they seem tobe geting excessively noisy. I had not noticed this on the last set I had on the 987.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
The present Goodyears, while consistently quiet as they wear, have a significant roar when driving oncoarse, gravelly asphalt surfaces encountered mainly in Texas. I wouldn't want to have Michelins roaring away even moreso for endless hours somewhere. Drive into Texas in the morning; get off the road that evening and you're still in Texas!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login