Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Nice car, but
Roger987 - 7 years ago
shame about the "monotone blare".

[www.youtube.com]

Boys and girls, I'm beginning to see (or more accurately, 'hear') a theme in the 718 road tests.
What she says about the sound doesn't surprise me.

Neither am I surprised about the mileage she was getting. Pedro mentioned that in his article and I've maintained the same thing. Drive it like sports car and there'll be no improvement in mileage.

This is the first time I recall a test mentioned actual mileage. She says if you drive it carefully, you can get almost 30 mpg. Considering her accent and the side of the road she's driving on, I presume she's referring to Imperial gallons. 30 miles per Imperial gallon works out to 24 miles per US gallon. OUCH. I recall the first year I had my 981S, I was stuck in a 2 lane conga line doing a pretty steady 55 - 60 mph. I'd call that driving it carefully. When I checked my mileage, I was getting just over 32 mpg US. That's just over 38 mpg Imperial.

I'll happily keep my "gas guzzling" naturally aspirated flat six.
Guenter in Ontario

SNIP

Neither am I surprised about the mileage she was getting. Pedro mentioned that in his article and I've maintained the same thing. Drive it like sports car and there'll be no improvement in mileage.

Exactly, G-Man.

Driven like my (now departed) 528i wagon, my 14 year newer 'fuel-efficient' 2.0 litre turbo-4 Audi, even with its excellent 8 speed ZF automatic, does not provide any gain in mpg.
"Like a moustache on the Mona Lisa, it [the sound] kind of gets in the way"

And:

...there are two messages here: the old six-cylinder engine will be missed by your heart at least as much as the new four-cylinder motor will be welcomed by your head, and while the result is a more capable but less charming car, for those who love to drive it is still the best in its class, by a reduced but still significant margin."

[www.telegraph.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login