Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
First a bit of background. My 2002 Boxster's airbag warning light came on. Tech found no airbag controller errors. A few things were tried -- seat belt switch, new airbag controller -- but the light remained on. Fortunately, the new airbag controller -- which was the factory's suggestion -- was a freebie as the controller was not associated with my car and thus there was no charge for this.

The tech had the opportunity to try another Boxster instrument cluster in my car and the airbag light was out. This pinpoints the problem as an electrical problem local to the instrument cluster.

The cluster was sent to VDO Repair in Lake Havasu City, AZ. I do not know exactly what was done but some hardware was removed and replaced. But upon installation in the car the airbag light remained on.

I made a phone call to the tech at VDO Repair and the tech told me that there was another method to repair the unit. Teh steps that were used work in quite a number of cases.

Unfortunately I do not recall the exact steps but it involved using a used cluster either stripping it of parts and transfer or "rebuilding" the used cluster and transferring everything that made my original cluster unique -- particularly the odometer reading -- to this "new" cluster.

The cost was IIRC under $300.

Ok, now to the present. The Boxster went in a week ago for its 300K mile service. Among other things I wanted the airbag light out. Based on what I had read I had the dealer send the unit to Palo Alto Speedometer in Palo Alto, CA. The service manager just emailed me that Palo Alto Speedometer doesn't repair Boxster instrument clusters.

However, it can somehow effect a repair of sorts by using a used cluster. I think it time I called Palo Alto Speedometer.
Here's a link to information on reprogramming a gauge cluster: Cluster Programming

You can download a pdf with instructions here: Cluster Programming DIY

I did this as part of the process of installing a 996 cluster in my 2000 Boxster. If I recall correctly, the cluster in the 2002 Boxster is the newer-style dot-matrix display. I have not actually done the work on a dot matrix cluster. The code in the new clusters is more extensive and the process to reprogram them is more complex. However, you may be able to use these instructions to program a used cluster without the air bag light problem from another car and insert your mileage and VIN. While you are at it, you might consider upgrading to the 996 cluster. It is nice to have the voltmeter and oil pressure gauge.

Good luck.
Thanksl for that. I think I have that or something like it in my reference folder on my notebook.

I would just be happy to get the orignal cluster's airbag warning light working right again.

The cluster repair has not gone well. I am not sure what's going on at the dealer. To try to get this moving again I contacted AutoParts.Repair about the cluster repair. The woman took the info down and said a tech would call me back.

The next day still not having heard from the tech I emailed the dealer to tell the service department to just button up the car and next time it was due for service I'd pre-arrange a cluster repair and the dealer would just remove the cluster and then install it afterwards.

But not too many minutes later the tech from AutoParts.Repair called. It was the same tech I spoke with before. He remembered me and the cluster.

He said the problem sounded like a chip swap could fix it though it might require a chip from a salvage/donor cluster circuit board. The chip swap fix is $189. If a donor cluster board is required that's another $100. He said he has the abilty to bench power the cluster and confirm it is working properly.

If it is not then he said the repair charge would be waived and the usual diagnostic charge would also be waived.

So I put this all into an email to the dealer/service department to hopefully get the cluster sent in for this repair. Oh, the turn around is 1 day for just a chip swap. A week if a donor cluster circuit board is needed.

Soon when I leave for work I'll swing by the dealer and speak with the service and see if it will send the cluster. If not then I'll take the cluster to a nearby FedEx shipping facilty and send it myself.

The cluster repair sage continues. Maybe.
It's been several years since my cluster project. At the time it seemed that the unavailability of parts to repair the 986/996 clusters was limiting the work that the gauge shops could do. I saw recently that replacement LCD's for the early displays are now available, so that may be changing. In the past, the only remedy for a bad lcd was a new cluster.

Also, the design of the 986/996 clusters is very different than the older electro-mechanical gauges that you find in vintage 911's. The technician may have needed time to learn new skills.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login