Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
FVD just announced a tune for the 981/981S:
[www.fvd.de]

The intro price is $900. HP/TQ numbers--if you buy their story--are in the range of the of the 718, albeit with the gains in the higher RPMs

A bit less expensive than springing for the 718 and you still get that wonderful sound.
Thanks Mike. To be honest, I find with the power on tap with my 981S, I have to keep enough of a check on my right foot in order to stay out of trouble with the constabulary.

I can see if you're tracking the car, as you do, it might be of greater interest.
Guenter in Ontario
Thanks Mike. To be honest, I find with the power on tap with my 981S, I have to keep enough of a check on my right foot in order to stay out of trouble with the constabulary.

I can see if you're tracking the car, as you do, it might be of greater interest.

Yep--the more I've been driving this car so far this year, it would seem clear the car has more than enough power to get me in trouble with the SHP.
The FVD tune has most of the power--and the power peak--above 7K RPM which would be very useful at the track. It also does,according to the HP/TQ graphs, get rid of that dip at 3K which would be an added bonus.

We'll see; FVD has a good reputation from what I've read so I'd expect this product to deliver on it's promise. The extra power will help in some spots, but driver skills are still paramount in getting the car around the track quickly.
Intriguing
Roger987 - 7 years ago
IF the software generates those numbers, it's impressive. I think it's possible Porsche left a few ponies on the table, not wanting to encroach on 911 turf.

BUT, although the original (factory) software can be reinstalled, Porsche may be able to ascertain that different software had been installed. Apparently, there's some sort of flash counter built into the ECU which keeps track of this. There's a risk that Porsche may decide that the warranty has been voided. (I realize some people say that Porsche would have to prove the performance software caused the problem, but, really, if Porsche says "sorry, your warranty is voided", then you're left with a BIG battle, and Porsche (VW) has much deeper pockets, even after the VW diesel fiasco, than any of us.)

APR (another tuner) claims that when they reinstall the original factory software (for instance, before the car is taken to a dealer), APR can reset the 'counter' to hide the fact there was other software installed.

Lots and lots and lots on the 'net about this. For example:

[www.audiworld.com]

Bottom line - if the 981 is still under factory warranty, and if that is important to the owner, then he will have to weigh the possible power increase against the possible risk of losing the car's warranty.
Re: Intriguing
MikenOH - 7 years ago
FWIW, I'm not one of those to throw a factory warranty out the window for the sake of an extra 30HP, but there are people that are unafraid to go down that path.

On the Mustang forums, there are large numbers of EB owners that have modded their cars to get extra HP/TQ. For less than $1k, you can probably get another 30HP and 60ft. lbs of TQ with just a tune. For more $, you can get 500hp+ which is close to the GT350 V8 rating.

OTOH, Mustang 2.3 L turbo replacement motors are way less expensive than Porsche motors---$3500 for a long block or $6K for the full engine installed--so, Ford owners may feel the potential financial loss via a a blown engine isn't as big a downside to getting more HP out of it.

With Porsche factory crate motor replacement costs in the $20K range, you need to have way deeper pockets if an engine mod goes wrong.
No free lunch for sure. What will be the cost (aside from the initial installation cost) of the modification. Gas mileage? Bigger deal - life of the engine.

I know the numbers sound good. Knock 3 or 4 10th's of a second off the 0 - 60 time. How many people driving on the street can really tell the difference in their butt-o-meter? (I'm not talking about iHP type). If you had two identical cars. One with the mod and one without. Let someone take the two cars out back to back in a "blind" test. On the street, who can tell the difference?

Something like a short shifter can knock down 0 - 60 time without adding additional stress on the engine.

I realize, on the track, a trained, experienced race driver will be able to knock a bit of time off a lap.

The numbers can play tricks. I know with my PSE engaged, the car "feels" more powerful. Porsche makes no extra power claims with it. Most dyno tests with different sports exhausts alone show little or no power increase. Yet, my senses put together make it seem more powerful because of the sound.

...and Porsche is playing he numbers game well with the new 718 - which is adding another set of numbers to the name.

....just some thoughts on a Thursday morning.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2016 09:34AM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login