Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
P1128 & P1130 codes
Ed B - 7 years ago
Hi all,

Last year, returning from the Parade, check engine light came on. I replaced a used exhaust gasket with a new one and reset the codes. All was well. At a DE last Saturday, just finished a 20 minute session with car idling in the garage, check engine light came on. Same codes. Drove 1 hour home. Next day, reset the codes. Driving home from another day at the track, check engine light comes on again. Car funs fine.

P1128 & P1130 are O2 codes for both banks indicating lean mixture.

Factory manual lists posible causes: Exhaust leak, intake leak, low fuel pressure, low fuel volume.

Before I start replacing parts, has anyone had this problem?

2000 Boxster S, sport exhaust, 40K miles, lots of track time in the red group, but with several long road trips. Original MAF sensor, O2 sensors, fuel pump and filter, air/oil separator. Uses no oil. Not driven in the winter.

Ed B confused smiley
Ed B
Hi all,

Last year, returning from the Parade, check engine light came on. I replaced a used exhaust gasket with a new one and reset the codes. All was well. At a DE last Saturday, just finished a 20 minute session with car idling in the garage, check engine light came on. Same codes. Drove 1 hour home. Next day, reset the codes. Driving home from another day at the track, check engine light comes on again. Car funs fine.

P1128 & P1130 are O2 codes for both banks indicating lean mixture.

Factory manual lists posible causes: Exhaust leak, intake leak, low fuel pressure, low fuel volume.

Before I start replacing parts, has anyone had this problem?

2000 Boxster S, sport exhaust, 40K miles, lots of track time in the red group, but with several long road trips. Original MAF sensor, O2 sensors, fuel pump and filter, air/oil separator. Uses no oil. Not driven in the winter.

Ed B confused smiley

AOS has to be suspect. If I'm right what will happen is you'll get the CEL and error codes off and on for a while until one day -- and it is not too far off -- upon a cold start the oil smoke will just billow from the exhaust.

While 40K miles is not that many miles -- with my Boxster I can go around 80K miles to 120K miles on an AOS -- the car is getting up in years and so's the AOS. There is a time component to its failure.

Check the oil filler tube cap. LIke the AOS I can go around 150K miles before this wears out and develops a leak but time can have the cap leaking as well as miles. At idle with the engine warmed up see if moving the cap around -- side to side or even trying to lift it up even though it is securely screwed down -- you can cause an air leak. The engine will react and you can hear the leak. Actually, based on how the new cap feels on my Boxster if you can move the cap around any that's a sign the cap probably should be replaced.
… an air leak is using throttle body or carb cleaner.
With the engine running at idle, put the small red pin-point tube on the can of cleaner and spray around any joint in the air intake system.
Around the intake tee, the length of the oil filler tube and anywhere you have a connection into the airstream such as the AOS hose or several vacuum lines.
If there is a leak the engine will accelerate a few hundred RPMs when it intakes the cleaner from the spray can.
Once you pinpoint the leak it's easy to fix and check again.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks Marc and Pedro for your suggestions.
The oil filler cap is tight. The plastic hoses on the AOS look good but it's a likely suspect.
I did find a hose on the secondary air injection pump not fully seated. I reseated it and put a clamp on it.
It's a subtle leak since it tock almost a year to re-appear after the first occurrence.
I'll try the carb cleaner approach if/when il. reappears.

Ed smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login