Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The Boxster has always been a fabulous car to drive.

Now it's a fabulous car, but...

...and I hope they're right, and I believe they are - that Porsche will continue to bring out special models, like the Spyder and GT4 with NA engines.
Guenter in Ontario
The Boxster has always been a fabulous car to drive.

Now it's a fabulous car, but...

...and I hope they're right, and I believe they are - that Porsche will continue to bring out special models, like the Spyder and GT4 with NA engines.

What a great article...Thanks for sharing.....come on NA special models.cool smiley

MIKELLIG
That reviewer's displeasure with the 718's sound is shared by the reviewer in The Telegraph, the link to which I posted here:

[pedrosboard.com]

Interestingly, the written review in The Telegraph seems to have been been very recently changed. Gone are the following remarks by the reviewer:

"Like a moustache on the Mona Lisa, it [the sound] kind of gets in the way"

And:

...there are two messages here: the old six-cylinder engine will be missed by your heart at least as much as the new four-cylinder motor will be welcomed by your head, and while the result is a more capable but less charming car, for those who love to drive it is still the best in its class, by a reduced but still significant margin."

If, indeed, those sentences have been removed (maybe they are there, and I simply can't find them), then I'd have to guess someone told the reviewer to soften his criticism (i.e. candour).

Hmmm..

From "reduced by a significant margin", we now have:

"The Porsche 718 Boxster has the balance, grip, speed and desirability to make it one of the greatest sports cars on sale, but its new engines are hard to love."
Well, I have to say, in fairness, that there is still little in the way of apparent competition for the Boxster. I don't mean this in the sort of blind Porsche cheerleader sense. There is nothing else out there that offers in a (relatively) affordable package a compact sportscar that handles exceptionally well and is comfortable for long trips -- with some storage space for luggage. From what I've read the MX-5 is not as comfortable, the Nissan Z sounds like an awful ride, the Corvette is a different animal completely, and although the BMW Z-4 is pretty nice looking it has terrible reviews. As a result, regardless of the engine note, I think the Boxster has a lock on a fair percentage of the market and since Porsche owners often take good care of their cars, those of us in the second-hand market can get a good ride for relatively little money.
You're right.

The Miata is a fun car. I think that, in its class, it's at the very top. But the Boxster is truly in a different class, and I'm not referring simply to prestige (though that element can't be denied).

The Z4 is a decent 'sporty' car, but its trunk disappeared when BMW swapped the ragtop for the folding metal roof, rendering the car almost useless as a long-distance runner.

The Corvette's performance is apparently close to 'supercar', but, as you say, it's a different animal. I doubt there's a lot of cross-shopping between it and the Boxster. The newest Corvette is said to have a proper interior, not one borrowed from a Cavalier. I think there are some Corvette owners on this Board who might share their comments.

The 718's 'noise' will not interfere with sales, at all. In fact, the superior performance NUMBERS (together with suspension, steering and PCM upgrades) may well improve new Boxster sales.

And, at the same time, that 718 'sound' may well increase the desirability of the 986/7 and 981.1

Of the two models in the photo, the one in foreground may be quicker (and likely have more effective stopping power, as well). winking smiley

The Chevette was a shining example of just how well GM could do EVERYTHING wrong.
Roger987

Of the two models in the photo, the one in foreground may be quicker (and likely have more effective stopping power, as well). winking smiley

The Chevette was a shining example of just how well GM could do EVERYTHING wrong.

Yup--when I think of the list of really bad cars GM built in the 70's and 80's--Vega/Chevette/ X platform cars, to name a few--it's amazing they didn't go bankrupt before 2009.
MikenOH
Roger987

Yup--when I think of the list of really bad cars GM built in the 70's and 80's--Vega/Chevette/ X platform cars, to name a few--it's amazing they didn't go bankrupt before 2009.

Probably the model in the foreground that kept them afloat.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
The Vette in question is a 2008 coupe with Z51 autocross suspension, sport exhaust (since we are talking about sound), and Pilot Super Sport tires (non run-flat). Six speed manual, of course. I had the car on a 3 mile track with 1 mile straight when it was only 3 months old. I had previously tracked a 2000 Vette coupe, and this car was significantly faster. We're talking 436 hp in a car only 200 pounds heavier than the Boxster. Top speed claimed by GM is 190 mph which I am sure is accurate. I tracked the car that one time, had a blast, went home and decided to quit while I was ahead and haven't done HP DE since. I would have had to get better seats and proper harness and decided not to continue.

The Boxster is a street legal go-kart and the Vette is enough of a super car for me. I have no need for a faster Vette, and Car and Driver finally admitted that the electrically assisted steering in the C7 has no feel. I like both cars, but if I had to choose one, it would be the Boxster hands down.
You're a lucky guy - you have the best of Germany's and the USA's sports cars. There are a number of styling cues of your 2008 which I prefer over the current design.

Electric steering - kudos to Porsche for engineering a system that isn't 'numb'. In all other electric steering cars I've driven, I really miss hydraulic assist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2016 09:33PM by Roger987. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login