Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Porsche Station Wagon

What's the world coming to? eye popping smiley

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 08:19AM by Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island). (view changes)
It's sportier looking and station wagons are simply more practical and potentially handle better than an SUV's. The only thing wrong with wagons is that they're not "in" right now.
Some wagons look at least as good as the "3-box" car from which they were derived, at least from certain viewpoints. The Volvo P1800 sports car had a vague, slightly dated (even for its time) resemblance to the B18, which was frumpy, but the wagon variant looked sportingly purposeful. Some BMW wagons over the years can be held as examples, actually looking swoopier than the sedans they were based on.
I've driven the current Panamera, and it's superb. It truly does 'shrink' around you, and performs like a four door sports car. Cargo/luggage space is compromised, though, by its sloping rear (which, incidentally, some find unattractive).

This new design is, in my view, the cat's meow, is far better looking than a SUV, will carry more stuff than a Macan, and probably offer more practical cargo area than a Cayenne (I much prefer long cargo areas to tall and shallow).

Gman is absolutely right, the ONLY reason for negative reaction is station wagons aren't 'cool' or 'macho' in North America. Europeans have understood, for decades, that a wagon offers the handling of a sedan, with greatly enhanced utility.

Laz is right - there have been, and are, a number of wagons which offer not only utility, but more pleasing lines, than their sedan counterparts. The Volvo P1800 was, and is, a stunner.

Audi's wagons - the A4 and the A6 (the latter is not available here in NA because the 'motoring' public prefers the less efficient, and poor-handling Q5) are very handsome. Similarly, the gorgeous BMW 5 series wagon no longer crosses the Atlantic because BMW's X5 is the hot ticket.

The writer of the article reveals his slavish adherence to automotive 'fashion' when he said "I’ve learned to accept the SUVs and the big sedan, but a Porsche hatchback wagon will be harder to swallow." He's fine with Porsche making an SUV, but has trouble with a wagon, which will be more efficient, handle better, be quieter, more comfortable, and offer more utility. His lament is entirely without merit; he's doing nothing more than pandering to the masses who regard the wagon as horribly passé.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 12:29PM by Roger987. (view changes)
and bemoaned their passing in North America. For example:

[www.caranddriver.com]

[www.motortrend.com]

And now (notwithstanding the piece in the Car Guru) they are beside themselves with excitement about the new Porsche wagon:

[www.roadandtrack.com]

So, to answer Ed's question - the world may be coming to a better place. smiling smiley
that in order to survive Porsche had to expand its market outside of the true sports car niche. It's well known that the company's profits are coming from the other lines of business. I guess we can all look forward to Porsche returning to making tractors to boost its bottom line drinking smiley

FWIW, I'd suggest Porsche brand the new offering as a "saloon car" vs a Station wagon - just sounds better to me smiling smiley

Yep, the world is changing and it's for the best.

05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
To sell it, just reach back to the Porsche history a bit.

Why not call it the 917 Rapitrans.
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue

Great Porsche engine that was....too slow!

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island)
that in order to survive Porsche had to expand its market outside of the true sports car niche. It's well known that the company's profits are coming from the other lines of business. I guess we can all look forward to Porsche returning to making tractors to boost its bottom line drinking smiley

FWIW, I'd suggest Porsche brand the new offering as a "saloon car" vs a Station wagon - just sounds better to me smiling smiley

Yep, the world is changing and it's for the best.

You're right, Ed, as long as Porsche builds vehicles which add black ink to the bottom line of their profit and loss sheet, there will likely be lots of Porsche choices for all of us. smiling smiley

BMW refers to its wagons as "Tourings", with 'T' added to the alphanumerical designation, e.g. 528iT. I think 'Touring' is a very apt word.

[www.topgear.com]

Although Porsche won't likely want to use the same word, I agree that something more elegant or sporting than 'wagon' could/should be used.
Roger's suggestion of Touring Car sounds good to me. thumbs up

05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island)
Porsche Station Wagon

What's the world coming to? eye popping smiley

I think this is a good sign to see a prominent car company opt to send a shooting brake or wagon to the US. It's time for us to get over this macho SUV thing. After all, most of us have ignored the "Boxster is a chick car" stigma. Since I don't live in the snow or rough terrain, I'd much prefer a low, well handling wagon to a tippy SUV. Bravo, Porsche.
2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login