Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Worked this out in the wee hours, but was afraid to post because of oncoming discombobulation. I could never find, or obtain from the dealer, what the factory specs are. Hopefully, these calculations are arithmetically correct (with some rounding down so as not to be over maximum engine rpm.) They are strictly based on gear ratios and nominal rear tire circumference of the standard Goodyear 19 rears; not accounting for tire wear, expansion, traction slippage, drag, etc. An intermediate calculation used IPM... Inches Per Minute, to mph: found the conversion on the Google machine. The speeds are rounded down to the nearest mph, which takes a bit of assumingly insignificant RPM off the 7800 maximum engine speed. That's the published figure, yet the tach's first red increment is at 7600. Anyway:

981 Boxster S:

1st: 49
2nd 83
3rd 115
4th 144 *
5th 172 **
6th 201 **

* This was the 1970 911S's "top and cruising speed" (emphasis mine) if I correctly recall the copy in the brochure at the time.
** Yeah, I know: 201 mph is pretty nuts, but again, that's accounting only for the vehicle mechanicals. If one uses the engine speed at maximum horsepower, 6700, the top speed comes down to 173, which of course is the factory figure. (Yes, I know Porsche sometimes uses "maximum track speed" or somesuch as the actual reference.) 173 is only one up from the 5th gear calculation, but 6th is really more of a gas-saver gear anyway. Using 6700 for 5th brings its speed down to 147; very close to 4th's, so I think it's not real world-ish, and the factory figure is more likely 172, >>EDIT: or somewhere toward the midpoint between 144 and 172. <<

I have not gone through the calculations again this morning, so if they're wildly off, I welcome the corrections.

Just for "fun," here's a table found online of 911 top speeds over the years:
[books.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 11:25AM by Laz. (view changes)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 12:56PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login