Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Great video; the "Gen 1" 718 made some beautiful sounds.
I agree. the 718 makes some beautiful sounds.

Too bad that Porsche didn't go ahead with what sounded like the original intent of a new entry level Porsche - a decontented, lighter car and put a NA boxster 6 - maybe even a boxter 4 that loves to rev. The real 718 has that sense of urgency that the 4 cylinder Boxster turbo doesn't have. It just sounds like Porsche's version of an Oldsmobile.

It wasn't likely an oversight that Porsche shows and records the sound of the 718 for almost the whole video. At the end, they bring in the new Boxster suggesting the heritage, but you never really hear its engine.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Really guys??? Must every. single. new. model Porsche be treated with such dismay? To my knowledge, nobody is making 'new' old Porsches (unless you want to pay 300k for a '911 by Singer'), so either say something nice about the new stuff, or don't buy it. Sure, complain about turbos, but likely every manufacturer Porsche must meet ever-rigorous safety, emissions & fuel economy regulations. I mean, who else is making 315hp-rear-wheel-drive-mid-engine-manual-transmission-convertible-honest-to-g*d-sportcars for $64k?? FWIW, Cayennes outsell all Boxster, Cayman, 911 and Panamera combined (according to this month's Pano) so I consider it a miracle VW cares to produce Boxsters at all. Consider ourselves fortunate....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 11:00PM by jlegelis. (view changes)
Right from the beginning, I said I like the new mirrors and standard steering wheel better than the standard ones on the current 981. smiling smiley

As for the rest of the car. I still think it's a great looking sports car, a few tweeks here and there. It's a matter of personal taste as to which look better or worse. Nothing drastic though.

The real shame is that Porsche has had to go through all this (switching from the NA flat six to a turbo 4) to improve in the European economy test cycle. As I pointed out in an earlier post, in the Canadian test cycle, the turbo 4 actually gets worse gas mileage than the NA flat six. In real world driving, a lot will depend on the driver. There likely won't be any real improvement in gas mileage and it could be worse.

It's just a shame that the car is losing one of the characteristics that make it such a joy to drive. And that's the sound it makes. The flat six has that sound of urgency and excitement. The new turbo four sounds OK. But for $64K, I don't want OK, For $64K I want excitement.

For people who want a great looking and handling sports car, the best one out there will still be the 718 Boxster. They just won't get that exciting sound.

I'm just glad that I got a 981. I'm lucky enough to have the whole package instead of 3/4 of it.
Please let me know when somebody here actually drives one... but for now it's all just useless YouTube speculation and other people's reviews.
I always found it funny people complaining about the latest model's looks when 99% of the exterior is the same as the previous models.
You don't like the sound? Get an aftermarket muffler.
Having been a 986 owner and PPBB/PedrosBoard member for almost 15 years, what I've noticed is that generally speaking, the closer your model is to the new model, the more jealous and critical you will be of the new model.
For example, 981 owners will dislike the the 718 Boxster the most, more than 986/987 owners, generally.
Human nature, I guess.
boxsterd
I've noticed is that generally speaking, the closer your model is to the new model, the more jealous and critical you will be of the new model.

… you may be onto something, 'cause I own a 986 and I like the 718!
Heck, I like all Porsches!!!
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
boxsterd
I always found it funny people complaining about the latest model's looks when 99% of the exterior is the same as the previous models.
Having been a 986 owner and PPBB/PedrosBoard member for almost 15 years, what I've noticed is that generally speaking, the closer your model is to the new model, the more jealous and critical you will be of the new model.
For example, 981 owners will dislike the the 718 Boxster the most, more than 986/987 owners, generally.
Human nature, I guess.

A few thoughts:

1. An aftermarket motor isn't going to fix what ails the 718 - two missing cylinders. It would only serve to render an unfortunate noise louder. You can rest assured that Porsche has done its absolute best to make the 718 sound as good as it could.

2. I realize that sound appeal is subjective. BUT, having said that, the vast majority of reviews by reputable car guys/magazines have commented unfavourably on the loss of the aural delight of the NA flat-6. Some have gone so far as to say that, notwithstanding the quicker acceleration of the 718, it simply isn't as exhilarating to drive as the NA flat-6 motors, particularly that in the 981. Those reviewers weren't listening to an engine sound on a computer, they were IN the car, DRIVING it.

3. If there's someone who is a bigger fan of Porsche than Guenter, I've yet to meet him. I don't know this for certain, but I think it very likely that the mobile above his babyhood cradle was entirely a collection of miniature Porsche cars. In Guenter's case, I have absolutely no doubt that it is not envy of the newest generation which prompts his comments about the sound; rather it's a heartfelt lament that, in the name of fuel-efficiency (which, as it turns out, for Canada-bound 718's, is a fiction) the newest Boxster has lost that trademark flat-6 sound.

4. Imagine if Ferrari replaced internal combustion engines with electric motors in its sports cars. Suppose (and this wouldn't be a reach), that the electric motors yielded quicker acceleration times - would anyone care that the legendary Ferrari wail was gone? They most certainly would..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 10:22PM by Roger987. (view changes)
Each successive model being inferior is like Homer saying no-one in his day could match the Iliad's heroes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 07:47AM by Laz. (view changes)
boxsterd
Human nature, I guess.

It almost appears that you're responding to my earlier post. If so, I'm not sure where you're seeing that I dislike the 718 Boxster the most.

Liking the mirrors and steer wheel better than the standard ones in the 981 hardly qualifies for "disliking"

For people who want a great looking and handling sports car, the best one out there will still be the 718 Boxster. They just won't get that exciting sound. doesn't show overwhelming dislike.

That the 718 Boxster gets worse gas mileage than the 981 in the Canadian test cycle is fact (according to the Porsche website), not my opinion.

When change is made, most often it is for the better, other times not.

I have nothing against change when it's positive.

For 23 years, my dream car was owning a silver Porsche Targa. Then in 1993, it all changed in that split second when I first laid my eyes on the Boxster Concept. To this day, to me the Boxster (all the models, Concept, 986, 987, 981 and the 718 Boxster are, for my taste in cars, the best looking and handling cars that Porsche makes. That doesn't mean there are things that I'd like to see changed.

It's just too bad that Porsche had to go to all that work, change the engine just to meet the European test cycle. In real world driving it probably won't make a difference, depending on how the car is driven. When I really tried, I could even get over 40 mpg with my 987.

Maybe the sound of the real thing will be better than everything I've heard of the 718. If not, it's a shame that wonderful sound will be lost in future Boxsters.
for whatever perceived loss of road texture, steering feel, etc., that may've occurred, consider the additional benefit of the "μ-split steering torque recommendation" that can help keep a vehicle stabilized when braking on a varying road surface. It seems it would help with hard braking below the threshold of lockup. ABS is effective only near or above lock-up, yes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 10:19AM by Laz. (view changes)
Well, if you think the 986, 987 or 981 is better than the 718 because of the exhaust sound, the expression "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.
That's way less than 2/3 of it. I'm sure the 718 will be a good product, just not all it could be due to onerous and poorly conceived EU regulations. Plus, of couse, Porsche forcing an inferior product on the USA. YUCK

It's even worse! The 718 gives you only 2/3 instead of 3/4 smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login