Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
My apologies if it has been. But it looks like a potential solution - unclear how much surgery this one needs and how "long term viable" it would be.

[www.ebay.com]
I have not seen it before. If I am correct, it would be even easier on a Boxster as the oil pump is on the front of the engine accessible through the cabin as if replacing the serpentine belt.

I can't speak to the efficacy of this mod, but on the surface it seems like a good idea, as long as it doesn't starve some other part of the engine for oil.

Al
... if you like your engine.
This modification has you punch a hole in the back end of the IMS and forces the shaft full of oil.
In order to get the oil to flow you would need to remove the IMS bearing and eliminate its seals, then replace it.
Guess the labor savings are now gone.
Now you'll have a rotating IMS shaft partially full of oil. This shaft was not designed to do this. I have been in a car with this mod and the side-to-side vibration from the engine from idle through 2500 RPM is mind blowing. I assure you it will make something fail sooner than later.
Finally, the main reasons for oiling the bearing are lunrication and maybe as important to lower the temp.
This oil which is picked up by the pump directly from the sump is dirty and has not passed through the oil cooler, so you will be bathing your bearing in hot and dirty oil. Any metal particle picked up by the pump will go through the bearing. Do you really want that?
The only system that uses the correct amount of clean and cooled oil is the DOF.
Nuf said.
Happy oiling
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 02:30PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Thanks Pedro -

All good considerations. In my case one doesn't apply, since I have the ceramic bearing with no seals which I had installed before DOF was available, but the others are significant concerns.

Al
Pedro,

I'm not familiar with the arrangement of the IMS and its bearing, but if this kit pushes oil through the shaft and it gets to the bearing, wouldn't oil from the DOF flow into the shaft as well?

Just curious....

Al
The DOF uses a very small stream of oil into the IMS bearing, but the bearing is still sealed towards the IMS so after the oil touches the balls and races it gets shed out of the bearing and just drips down to the oil pan. A small amount of oil may get into the shaft, but not like what that particular mod requires which is filling the IMS almost completely.
The almost is also a problem because you'll have an unbalanced internal rotating mass inside the engine. This unbalanced mass is what controls timing, so a jump of one tooth in the chains due to this imbalance will cause catastrophic engine damage.
Happy oiling,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Moved to proper level.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 02:47PM by Al in Melbourne Beach. (view changes)
It was unclear from the original that the oil would enter the other side of the shaft.

It was also unclear that the OEM seals needed to be removed. But now that you point that out, your concerns make eminent sense.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login