Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Just tried changing the ignition switch on 2001 Boxster. After it was done, the key wouldn't turn in ignition. Called guys that had done previous work on car, mechanic told me that once switch was changed, computer had to reprogram switch code . Put old one back in, key still wouldn't turn then realized steering had locked up and needed to release pressure on switch for key to turn. Now the dilemma---put the NEW (audi) switch back in or take car to a place that can reprogram codes. Followed Pedro's instructions and nothing was mentioned about codes. Anyone know about this for sure??? Thanks for any help.
mari
Just tried changing the ignition switch on 2001 Boxster. After it was done, the key wouldn't turn in ignition. Called guys that had done previous work on car, mechanic told me that once switch was changed, computer had to reprogram switch code . Put old one back in, key still wouldn't turn then realized steering had locked up and needed to release pressure on switch for key to turn. Now the dilemma---put the NEW (audi) switch back in or take car to a place that can reprogram codes. Followed Pedro's instructions and nothing was mentioned about codes. Anyone know about this for sure??? Thanks for any help.

Never replaced the ignition switch myself, but I've had the one in the Boxster replaced. There are no key codes to fiddle with. The tech disconnected the battery removed the old switch and installed the new one. Then reconnected the battery. Done.

The key not turning in the ignition reads like either the lock tumber is bad or an electrical connection is not good. However, the problem could be in the mechanical portion of the ignition switch assembly. I know it is not popular to mention but not every bad ignition switch is "fixed" with just replacing the electrical portion at the back end of the ignitioni switch assembly. But before you condemn the entire assembly check your work.

Be sure all the connections at the ignition switch electrical contact at the back are good.
Thanks. will check all this out. mb
There's not reprogramming involved. If you put the switch in wrong the key won't turn.
seems impossible to put switch in wrong---i had to use the steering wheel to get myself under and out of car so think that the steering was locked and locked hard. will try again once my body has recovered from all the contortions you have to go through to get at the thing!

thanks so much for your response. gives me courage to try again.!!! mb
Sometimes a locked wheel has to be diddled in both directions along with nudging the key.

An aside: near as I can tell, the 981 doesn't have a wheel lock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2016 07:41AM by Laz. (view changes)
Laz

An aside: near as I can tell, the 981 doesn't have a wheel lock.

I believe you're right. The steering wheel has never felt as if it was locked in position.

I'm thinking that's why Porsche has configured the electric parking brake so it can't be released without starting the car to act as a theft deterrent.
EXACTLY WHAT I DID!!! also had to turn the key "upside down" and it finally let go.

Boy was I relieved!!! THANKS for your response! mb
aside from uncomfortable working angles, there is no magic, and certainly no programming.

Sounds to me like it is simply not seated correctly.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
yes. working fine but with old switch. turned out steering wheel had to be "jiggled" back and forth while using key before it unlocked and started. hope to put the new one back soon. thanks for your response. mb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login