Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
...about halfway through a road rally yesterday I started hearing a low pitch squeaking from the front suspension. The squeak can be heard when the front is rocked by hand. Also moving the steering wheel when stopped result in a groan throughout the movement.

When the car is cool it is quite but after a few miles it's there.

Ideas?
....just checked on the car after sitting for a few hours in the garage. NO creaks, squeaks or groans. Any input appreciated.
... a dried-out ball joint at the control arm.
When the dust covers tear, they allow the joint go dry out and squeak.
Test it by spraying a bit of lithium grease if the dust boot is torn or injecting some fine oil with a syringe through the rubber.
This is a short-time fix and will require replacing the arm for a permanent fix,
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Two adds
grant - 7 years ago
1. not on boxsters, but on Audis I have frequent injected grease to quiet and extend the life of a ball joint. You can actually buy syringes for your grease gun at NAPA. I used the best grease i could get. Usually worked. The close with silicone - requires careful cleanign first to get good adhesion.

2. Also check sway bar bushings. They get dry and squeak. yes, you can lube them, but spring for the big $20 (or maybe $40 at the dealer) and replace them. Beware the boomerang plates are TIGHT. If you think you must be damaging something, you're almost there.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
....I forgot to mention this is an '08 Cayman with 96K miles. Would the fact that it doesn't make the noise till it's warm, that is OAT and warm from friction point more to bushings than ball joints?

I guess I should lube one or the other, one step at a time.
...the bushings where the sway bar mounts to the body. A little penetrating juice stopped the noise. I'll get fresh bushings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login