Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Apologies if this topic is already covered in the archives - if it is, please indicate where.
My 2011 Cayman, base model, had a shifter failure a couple of weeks ago. I was driving in town and it became apparent that the shifter lever was no longer connected to the transmission. The car is under CPO warranty, so it was flatbedded to the local Porsche dealer, via roadside assistance, and the dealer reported that the shifter cable had broken (23K miles) and replaced it. The interesting thing is that now the 6-speed shift pattern is offset about a half a gate to the right, from where it was. The dealer claims that there is no adjustment in the shifter mechanism and that a different pattern location is not unusual when a cable is replaced. I have no reason to doubt the dealer, but I wanted to ask if anyone on the board has seen similar results after a shifter cable replacement.
Thanks to all for your help.
996 Turbo shifter failed much like your's I suspect. The ball socket failed and the shifter became detached from the linkage to the transmission.

The tech's recommendation was to replace the 996 Turbo factory shifter with the factory 997 shifter which was a bolt in replacement. The tech claimed this was a much better shifter than the shifter the car came with.

Afterwards there was no feeling of the shifter being half a gate off or off in any way. The shifter had a lot less slop/play in it and shifting was noticably improved. The tech's recommendation was spot on.

Based on my admittedly limited experience I suspect the dealer is just well, to put it bluntly, blowing you off. He is essentially giving you the explanation "they (almost) all do that"...

Unless someone can and does chime in with something that backs up the dealer's claim I would consider this action. Return to the dealer and state to the service manager that because the shifter is not right -- for whatever reason -- you are worried that the shifter with its half a gate off is going to fail and leave you stranded again. And to possibly fail in traffic and subject you to some danger. Thus you have lost all enjoyment from the use of the car.

If what the dealer says is true then some new (and used) cars should manifest this feeling of half a gate off as the same variability that resulted in your shifter being half a gate off should apply to new cars too. Insist on trying a few cars. I believe you will find no such feel that all the shifters will be ok.

If there is no adjustment to bring an outlier shifter mechanism into proper/acceptable position then the shifter should be replaced with another new one and this repeated until the shifting feel meets with your approval and you can feel safe again in driving the car.

You must show up at the dealer prepared to leave the car. If the dealer can get you to leave again with the car he's being shown you are willing to accept -- at some level -- the car is it is.

If you get any pushback from the service manager ask to speak with the general manager.
They had to bring the car back in to adjust the linkage because the shop's owner was not happy with its shifting.

I had the elephant racing cables installed since they were only about $100 more than OEM, were heavier, and supposedly had a better feel. I could not image how a cable produced feel, but it was in fact true in the end.

I suspect there are things that can be adjusted, even if it may not b e the very part they installed. But in a system, its not unusual to have to adjust part B due to variations on part A.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Picture
grant - 7 years ago
I happened to be under my car and took this picture showing the two cables, and the visible adjustment threads at the attachment points.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
You can certainly adjust the default position of the shift knob in neutral.
There are two adjustments actually. One on each cable.
One adjusts the front-to-back position, the other the side-to-side.
You'll have to remove the lower center console to expose the shifter.
Remove the safety locks on each cable.
Start with one and disconnect from the shroud. Move the knob to your preferred position and let the cable drop into the shroud.
Do the other cable and replace the locks and the console.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks so much for your inputs - I will be following this up with the dealer and let you know what develops.
Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login