Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
About as accurate as we can expect from a car rag that needs to keep advertisers happy.

[www.caranddriver.com]

I had a two hour 718S Boxster test drive last week and came away more impressed than I expected. Great ride, wonderful map, crystal clear back up camera, nice lane cange assist warning lights, solid feel, very fast with excellent acceleration, poor exhaust note without the 3K non performance enhancing mufflers, and moving more toward a bloated land crusier than an enthusiasts sports car IMHO. Semi/YUCK.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Nice quality interiors, solid comfortable ride, small engine with turbo boost, boring intake/exhaust sounds. Fine for an Audi, but yuck for a Pcar.
boxtaboy
Nice quality interiors, solid comfortable ride, small engine with turbo boost, boring intake/exhaust sounds. Fine for an Audi, but yuck for a Pcar.

Interesting that you called it fine for an Audi, but not a Pcar.

I just finished reading a comparison test of the 718 Boxster, Audi TT and Z4. in Auto Motor und Sport, to me, the top German automobile mag. For the first time, they ranked the Audi TT ahead of the Boxster ....oops, sorry, 718 Boxster. I guess there's a reason Porsche dropped it from being a 981 down to a 718.

The Boxster has always been the complete package of the ultimate roadster. Looks, handling, ergonomically a driver's car and the sound, all together in one car. In the past, as they described it, the Boxster raised the hairs on the back of your neck from that special feeling. Now it's lost that magic. still a great handling car, but it's lost that special feeling that the ultimate sports car should give you.

I haven't heard it in person, but from any videos I've heard, the Symphony in Flat Six has been replaced by an oboe quartette playing a soulful Requiem of Passion Lost.
Well, I guess it's because I expect more from a Porsche. They not only should perform well, but they should bring out an unparalleled passion when driven, which includes being able to wind out the engine and hearing the musical intake/exhaust noises. And I agree- from what I've heard from the videos, the turbo 4s just don't bring out that passion anymore. Shame. Sorta like how I used to love hearing the old formula 1 cars race around the track. The new engines sound bleh. Part of the experience lost.
Also agree about the new Formula 1 cars. They actually don't even call them engines now. They're now called power units. With all the electronic adjustments, it seems more like they're playing video games than driving cars. I never used to miss an F1 race. Now I seldomly watch one. Passion lost.
Yeah, I remember in '98 when I got my first Boxster, which was my first Porsche, and I finally cleared the 2,000 mile break-in period. The howl from passing 4000 RPMs was intoxicating. It sent a chill down my spine. At least it was something I was able to experience, and in 20 years or so will be able to tell the young kids what they are missing. Sort of like my did does about walking to school five miles uphill each way in the snow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login