Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
In the new "sharing economy," would you let other Porsche/Boxster/ sports car owners drive your car ...if they let you drive theirs?
How about for a fee?
How about if there is a company that will put the driver/car owners together, along with the insurance, 24/7 roadside assistance, etc?

The thinking is when you are in another city, you can "rent" a car from another owner...much along the lines of AirBnB.

What do people think about the idea???
What would be your concerns?
What would make it worthwhile to you, both as a driver and as a renter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2016 10:34AM by RainyDayGarage. (view changes)
Interesting concept, but i wouldn't do it, not even for my non-Porsche car. I do let friends and family drive my car on occasion, but simply don't want complete strangers touching my stuff. I wouldn't put my place on AirBnB, either, and I live four miles from the White House and a five minute walk to the DC subway system. Could clean up, but again, don't want strangers all in my stuff. With the car, I use it as a daily driver, and would hate to give it up, even for a some cash. I'm odd, though. I've never used Uber or other ride share programs.
Not odd at all. Pretty sure you are the norm.

We all have emotional investments in the things we own.
While many of us are OK with "sharing" with friends, it is a huge hurdle to "share" with a complete stranger.

The emotional ties are going to be even stronger for a personal sports car.
However, what if you could drive one from Leno's or Seinfeld's collection?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2016 12:34PM by RainyDayGarage. (view changes)
Too much pressure to drive a rare car owned by Seinfeld or Leno, or anybody for that matter. I'd be too nervous that I'd break/hit something. Now if I were that rich, I'd drive my own.
2nd
grant - 7 years ago
As anyone who loads or gives their car, even to their kids can attest, most people have no idea how to treat a car.

Witness, i let a PCA National (Chief) Instructor drive my car at an AX once. Spun the (admittedly difficult) clutch and then snapped the (admittedly old) shifter ball linkage. But likely i could have nursed both for another half decade.

How many times have we answered the question" how long do boxster clutches last" - proper answer: 1 day to forever, depending on who drives it.

Cup holder get broken. Doors get slammed. Drinks get dumped on the carper. Some through neglect, some through simple negligence.

So, overall, no way.

That said I've turned highly trusted people loose with my car at AX, on the track, and in the twisties, and many of them, me. But those are carefully curated choices.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
While I treat rental cars like they were my own -- I really appreciate being able to with a valid driver license and proof of insurance and a credit card rent a car anywhere in the USA (and once in Europe) -- and would treat any Porsche rental the same way no way would I put my cars out there to be driven by renters.

You want to drive my Porsches? Buy them.
I would be a little particular though.

If I was afraid of a crash or crazy(ish) driving I would not swap.
I am looking at you Rich.

Your car was VERY different.
Really?...what was so different? You found silver to be the faster color? smiling smiley
The clutch was much heavier, the steering was different and the tires rode differently as well.

That and the painted coathooks.
Yes, my clutch is on the heavy side, and my tires are summer compound on 18", not A/S on 17". Oh, and yes...the painted coat hooks behind my seats add 5hp!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2016 05:00PM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
Most notably the people!

And yes, we did swap cars.

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
It's let me try a bunch of stuff as well. We swapped our GT3 with a friend for an RS for a week to enjoy BRBS one year. Generally the folks I let drive my cars can afford to deal with any problems that might occur. I had one incident happen and all was good in the end. These aren't museum pieces.
It's a business that rents watches. The car thing is individuals who share their cars with others.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login