Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Gas Leak ?
Boxster997 - 7 years ago
Hi All
Seems the Critters have returned , once before the local shop notice a gas smell and found the gas lines had been chewed on

My question can the gas lines be accessed from the Top Panel under roof?

Might some one have pictures ? Honestly have no idea what I will be looking for .

Thanks
Re: Gas Leak ?
MarcW - 7 years ago
Boxster997
Hi All
Seems the Critters have returned , once before the local shop notice a gas smell and found the gas lines had been chewed on

My question can the gas lines be accessed from the Top Panel under roof?

Might some one have pictures ? Honestly have no idea what I will be looking for .

Thanks

Depends upon which gas lines have been chewed.

If by "critters" you mean mice (or rats or even squirrels), chances are they did not chew through lines that carry liquid gas but chewed through lines that carry gasoline vapor. They stop chewing when they break through and get a big whiff of gasoline fumes.

I was able to inspect a Cayman S in with rodent damage and the critters chewed through a plastic line that carried vapor from the fuel tank to the engine compartment. This line ran inside the small tunnel down the middle of the car. The tech had the plastic under body panels off and the damage was pretty easy to spot.

You or a qualified tech will have to inspect the car top to bottom and bumper to bumper for any damage. My advice is to seriously consider using a professional tech for this. Some damage may be hard to spot and he may have to resort to triggering some tests of say the car's vapor recovery system to ensure there are no leaks.

Also, whether there is just vapor leaking or fluid there is the very real risk of a static spark and a fire. The car can be involved in no time and if it is in the garage or near the house...
Yes
Boxsterra - 7 years ago
Start with the left fuel rail (driver's side in the US) and inspect all of the lines that come out of it. There is a single line that goes from the front of the car to that fuel rail. It's unlikely the line from the gas tank (front of the car) to the back was chewed as rodents are usually attracted to warm places, such as the engine compartment.

The fuel rail is between the black air intake and the air filter on the left side of the car.

(from [www.pelicanparts.com])

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login