Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2000 Boxster, replacing the window regulator... can hear the cable as the window comes up to the top.

My question is in regard to the air bag, I have watched various videos demonstrating how to remove the door panel and replace the regulator... but do I need to do anything to disconnect the airbag or neutralize it? Is there any potential for my activating it during removal?

Thank you...
m2
2000 Boxster, replacing the window regulator... can hear the cable as the window comes up to the top.

My question is in regard to the air bag, I have watched various videos demonstrating how to remove the door panel and replace the regulator... but do I need to do anything to disconnect the airbag or neutralize it? Is there any potential for my activating it during removal?

Thank you...

Disconnect the battery and let the car sit for a few minutes.

Whenever you are handling the air bag hold it away from you and treat it like the explosive device it is.

Below are some applicable warnings/instructions from a factory manual:

CAUTION
Danger of injury if airbag units are triggered while ignition key is not removed!
• Always remove ignition key during body work, and do not commence adjustment work until a waiting period of at least 1 minute has elapsed!
• The ground strap of the battery must be disconnected during work on the airbag system and alignment bench work within the framework of body repair!

WARNING
Danger of injury and damage to property as a result of incorrect handling of airbag units! (Part 1) Please observe the following points:
• The airbag units are pyrotechnical items in hazard class T 1!
• Handling, transport and storage of these units must conform to the explosives legislation!
• The listed statutory requirements refer to the Federal Republic of Germany!
• The relevant valid regulations must be observed in all other countries!
• The commencement of work with pyrotechnical items must be reported 14 days in advance to the
Trade Supervisory Office (responsible authority)!
• Airbag units may only be dispatched in transport packaging officially approved for that purpose!
• Airbag units may not be transported with other hazardous goods!
• Internally, they must always be transported in the luggage compartment or cargo hold of a vehicle
using the above−mentioned transport packaging!
• They must not be transported in the passenger's compartment!
• Airbag units must be stored in accordance with the second ordinance of the explosives legislation!
• This ordinance stipulates that small quantities of materials and objects may be stored at certain
locations without special storage approval!
• According to the Explosives Storage Directive of August 1997, these quantities are max. 10 kg (net)
in a work room and max. 100 kg (net) in a storage room in the case of Class T 1 pyrotechnical items!
WARNING
Danger of injury and damage to property as a result of incorrect handling of airbag units! (Part 2) Please observe the following points:
• Airbag units must be kept in a locked place!
• When storing airbag units, ensure that the airbag opening faces upwards (risk of injury caused by
inflation of the airbag units in the event of accidental ignition)!
• Airbag units must be stored in a dry place and must not be stored together with other hazardous goods
(varnishes, etc.)!
• Loose airbag units, referred to as airbag modules below, or airbag modules installed in a loose
steering wheel must never become the actual (physical) property of the customer!
• The possession of loose airbag modules not installed in the vehicle is not permissible in the private
sector!
• Airbag modules may become the property of the customer only when installed in the vehicle!
Thanks Marc.

So the takeaways are: 1) it is an explosive device, handle with caution and potential of directional explosion. 2) remove the ignition key, disconnect the battery at both terminals and allow time for the system to dissipate it's charge.

Any other recommendations or experience?... greatly appreciated.
Be sure you read the instructions on how to properly disconnect and connect the battery. You don't want to make any mistakes.

Just to be safe, be sure the key is off and removed from the ignition switch *before* you disconnect the battery. Be sure you have your radio's security code *before* you disconnect the battery.

Be sure you have the airbag properly connected *before* you connect the battery. If you don't the airbag warning light will be turned on and only a dealer with a Porsche diagnostics computer or someone with a Durametric can turn off the airbag warning light.

After you connect the battery you will have to, should at any rate, do an e-Gas calibration and reset the window limits. How to do this should be in your owners manual.

For my 2002, e-Gas calibration: With the key off and with your foot off the gas pedal turn the key to the on position, the 1st position. Leave on for at least 60 seconds. Turn the key off for at least 10 seconds. The next time the engine is started the calibration is complete.

To reset the window limits: With the key on press and hold the lower button until the window is all the way down. Release the button then press and hold the raise button until the window is all the way up. Continue to press the button for 5 seconds. Done. Repeat for the other window.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login