Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
At first I liked this review because it stood out from all the cookie-cutter reviews of the 718 that all say exactly the same thing using the exact same once-clever but now hackneyed language (four pots, makes...horsepower, etc.), so much so that I wondered of Porsche handed out instructions saying give the car a good review but compare the sound to a Subaru so people won't realize you're in the pocket of the company PR department. At least this review was a little different. Then I read the comments and think they're worth the price of admission: [www.wsj.com]

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 11:38AM by JackintheBoxster. (view changes)
for other manufacturers to make a really competitive product. BMW's Z5 could be a good candidate for those not blinded by a Porsche fetish, so could Alfa Romeo, if they could make a durable car.

On the other hand, I haven't heard the new car, so I don't know.
... who cares about the darn sound?

So it sounds like a Subie or even, gasp, an air-cooled VW engine? Subaru sells a ton of cars, numbers that I'm sure Porsche would kill for, and VW sold a million tons of VW cars with that engine sound.

So some purists turn up their noses and walk away?

Big deal. Lots more non-purists that purists. Witness how many cars Toyota, Honda, VW, GM, Ford and Chrysler sell.

Some purists walked away when the 356 was replaced by the 911. Some purists walked away with the appearance of the safety bumpers.

Then the Turbo appear and there were some against that change. An automatic transmission was fitted and there was an uproar about that.

And of course -- skipping over the several/various iterations of 911's in the interim and the front engine water cooled models (all of course had detractors)-- a whole lot of purists fled the brand when the water-cooled Boxster and 911 appeared. And the purists continue to flee with the Cayenne, the Panamera, the Macan and what else have I left off?

Who cares? Porsche still finds customers for its cars. If we owners of cars with the N/A flat six engine don't step up I don't think Porsche will suffer for buyers for its next generation of 4-cylinder cars.

Frankly, I worry a bit when I read of " an acoustic channel from the engine bay to just above the driver’s left shoulder". I often use my cars for long periods of a time and for long distances. While a short test drive with the sound from an acoustic channel blasting in my left ear might be ok (actually it wouldn't be ok even for a short test drive) you can be sure it wouldn't be for any longer span of time.

Note to Porsche: Don't try to enhance the sound. It is a turbo-charged engine for goodness sake's.

Frankly I like the sound of my 996 Turbo the exhaust sound being a bit muted. And the exhaust sound I don't really hear in the Boxster, I get more of an intake howl under hard acceleration at higher RPMs. Pretty much when I'm not pushing the Boxster it is pretty quiet. That's nice.

If more "noise" is desired, then the Porsche engineers can cut some sound deadening out of the mufflers -- saves a bit of weight and helps make up for the weight gain turbo-charging brings with it -- and move on. (Or let the "aftermarket" supply noisier exhaust systems.)

These cars will sell just fine. Just maybe not to the last generation of purists but who cares? Only the purists and they don't count for much.
I agree, that there are many more Hondas, Toyotas, VW's etc. sold than Porsches. But if you're suggesting that somehow they're equal to Porsches in what people pay for them and what people should expect of them. That makes no sense.

Rationally, I think anyone purchasing a Porsche is expecting to get more quality, performance, handling and driving satisfaction than if they were purchasing one of the more inexpensive cars you listed.

To me, there's nothing wrong with the sound of VW flat four - in a VW and I've owned a number of them. If I'm spending roughly 3 - 4 times what a VW will cost me, I expect a lot more. If the Porsche didn't excite me, I'd feel that I'd wasted my money. If I just want something to get me from here to there, I wouldn't be spending $70,000+ for a car.

Sure, your 996 Turbo sounds good, but it has a flat six, not a flat four.

And, I don't think the sports car enthusiast is looking for more "noise" as you put it. No, I don't want my ear drums popping from the sound of the exhaust. My 981 with PSE, to me sounds like a sports cars should sound. Cruising on the highway, it probably doesn't sound much different from your Boxster. Drive it with enthusiasm, and it sounds like a proper sports car.

Maybe some people would be OK with Pavarotti having a voice like Tiny Tim. After all, singing is singing, right? For me, it just ain't the same.
You also have to take into consideration that Marc doesn't really want too much sound from his cars cause he likes to drive with the top up all the time in the Boxster, and thus doesn't care so much about the extra sensory stuff you get from the wind in your hair and sounds from the car. His 02 Boxster had a stock exhaust that was very quiet to begin with, and thus he heard mostly just intake noise from the engine. For me, that wasn't enough, so I had to put on an aftermarket exhaust. The 996 turbo also never much had too much sound coming from it in stock form. He likes the performance most of all, and that's fine. Some people like it that way. Most people who have never driven an older Porsche will probably not think anything of the downgrade in noise, as they've never heard the sweet sound in the first place, and the cars are faster now. It will be interesting to see what the sales figures will be for Porsche with these 718s. I haven't seen too many of them around so far in the roads, but time will tell. For me, however, I'd rather use the funds towards a 981 or 997 instead, as I think 4 cylinders turbos sound like crap.
MarcW

So it sounds like a Subie or even, gasp, an air-cooled VW engine? Subaru sells a ton of cars, numbers that I'm sure Porsche would kill for...

Kill for?

That's just nonsense.

No way does Porsche want to sell hundreds of thousands of low budget cars.

They have to have some exclusivity to meet the aura expectd.
Tcar
MarcW

So it sounds like a Subie or even, gasp, an air-cooled VW engine? Subaru sells a ton of cars, numbers that I'm sure Porsche would kill for...

Kill for?

That's just nonsense.

I think what he meant was that Porsche would love to sell hundreds of thousands of expensive 4 pot Boxsters.
boxtaboy
Tcar
MarcW

Kill for?

That's just nonsense.

I think what he meant was that Porsche would love to sell hundreds of thousands of expensive 4 pot Boxsters.

I know that's what he meant... and I don't think that they do... that's VW's job..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 08:31PM by Tcar. (view changes)
Tcar
boxtaboy
Tcar
MarcW

Kill for?

That's just nonsense.

I know that's what he meant... and I don't think that they do... that's VW's job..

I don't think VW wants to sell pricey sports cars in volume.I do think Porsche would like to sell as many Boxsters as they can though.
Many sports car owners appreciate the sound their car makes. It's not a matter of volume; it's a matter of aural pleasure.

That's why even the WSJ reviewer, who has to explain what a turbocharger is to its viewers, addresses the issue of sound.
Boxsterra
Many sports car owners appreciate the sound their car makes. It's not a matter of volume; it's a matter of aural pleasure.

That's why even the WSJ reviewer, who has to explain what a turbocharger is to its viewers, addresses the issue of sound.

Exactly.
....won't have a clue, or give a flying rat's ass about prrevious models. They're buying the P tag on the back and what is still a very nice car. That turbo will probably send the MT to the bone yard. Lots of profit in charging 3 or 4 grand for a fancy automatic.

As for me, I'll take a 981 with a standard exhaust note over a 718 with a forced PSE burble any day of the week. Progress in reverse.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2016 09:14AM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
While I'm sure the new 718's are fine cars and super quick, I too NEED the sound of a NA flat 6. It's addicting, and once you get a taste you want more. I actually like hearing more intake than exhaust sound in my old 986 when I step on it in pretty much any gear. Feed me, feed me it says. And this is in 225hp/192 ft lb car, so it's not fast. Although, having followed G-Man's car with PSE at BRBS, I can say that my next Box will be a well-cared for 981....probably around 2025 or so as long as things keep going so well in my "purist's" Box! But, I agree with the theory that most 718 buyers will not be coming from flat 6 cars.
to drive up the price of the new flat-6 Boxster, coming soon.
Boxsterra
to drive up the price of the new flat-6 Boxster, coming soon.

Maybe, but that would put it higher than the base 991.2

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login