Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hello all, new to this forum...please be kind. smiling smiley

I have an issue that seems to elude answer. I have a '01 986 2.7 Boxster with apx 47,000 mi. Car has been stored for about 3 years, and this spring I started bringing it back to life. All issues were resolved with exception of the climate control unit which I determined was bad (the board, not the display). As I was unable to determine the cause of failure, rather than purchase a unit online and install myself (and face potential damage), I opted to purchase a new (or factory reconditioned) unit from Porsche and have dealer installed. Since I was going the dealer route, I opted to have the tech thoroughly go over car and replace any item that could be questionable, including the IMS...all of this would be a separate post. Enough background, now my issue...

Upon completion, the new unit (only at startup) blinks 9 times, and has continued at startup for the past week. The tech had throughly looked for coded faults (which there were none) and even contacted Porsche. Their advice was to drive car for a month, and see what happens. I have always believed in cause and effect, and every issue has a core impetus and anything that mysteriously fixes itself isn't truly fixed. I have searched other boards and found another individual a few years back that had the same problem (also with 9 blinks), issue was not answered there either. Besides the blinking, the unit works without issue.

I decided to come here for advice, as I have learned that there is always someone somewhere who knows something....it might take a shovel, pick axe and compass to find them, but they are out there.

Thanks in advance, and happy driving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2016 02:00PM by Marknindy. (view changes)
I vaguely recall the new A/C unit needs to be "adapted" to the car. There should be a function for doing this provided for by the Porsche diagnostics computer. It might be part of the new car setup.
Can this be verified? Would like to know before I go back to Porsche with the "Here's what you need to do..." attitude. smiling smiley

What would be really interesting is if someone had 2 similar 986's and was willing to do a test by removing both units and temporarily swapping. If both units blinked, then they truly need to be coded to car, if not, well, it's not a coding issue. If someone out there was willing to do (and as removal is easy, would think the whole process would be 20 min), I promise that the beer is in the mail.

Perhaps I need to buy a second 986....purely for diagnostic reasons, of course. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login