Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
My 2000 Boxster has a second blank (it looks like) on the left of the center dash for a second cigarette lighter/power plug. I'd like a second one - it doesn't need to be always on like the first on the right side.

My mechanic is willing to do the work, but I'd like to limit my cost - is this circle blank actually for a second power adapter?
Is there a 'follow the recipe' guide for adding a second plug?

I recall seeing them taped to the passenger side, but not in the center position.

If there is a do it yourself guide, that would be wonderful - putting in more money on a 2000 drives my wife crazy.

Andrew
Do you want an actual cigarette lighter, or Porsche does sell power outlets. I have one in the passenger side footwell of my 997. It comes with one of those plastic flip-covers. You may not want one of those on your dash, but this way, you don't have to do anything with the lighter when you use the power source. Can't say if the blank in the dash is for a cig lighter, but maybe there is room in the footwell to put it. It is a bit of a PITA to use down there, but I plug my GPS in it and the V-1 in the Cig lighter so I can see the directional arrows on the steal mode adapter.
That blank is for a wiper control on the early 996s and just a blank on the Boxster.
You can install a 12 VDC (from Radio Shack) outlet like I did (back in 2004 as seen in the dated electronics below)
It's very simple and all you need to do is connect the black and the red to the corresponding black and red wires of the cig lighter on the right side of the center console.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
How/where does one gain access to the red and black wires? I can't pull my dash off

Andrew
You'll have to pry off the plastic piece that hold the switches.
Get a plastic pry bar so you don't scratch and it will come off the center console.

Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Taking it really slow, 'cause I'm really slow ...

1. Buy new cig lighter 'kit' or whatever Suncoast sells
2. Pry plastic off both sides of the dash
3. Splice the black to black and red to red
4. Replace plastic on both sides

Given that the AC/stereo sit between the two locations, how do I get the wires across?
Does the blank (wiper on left) just 'pop out'?

Anything the viciously stupid needs to understand before ordering the part?

Thanks for taking it slowly.

Andrew
1.- Buy a 12 volt DV outlet at Radio Shack. Why buy another cig lighter if you just want an outlet? The outlet also comes with a plug for when not in use.
2.- Yes, pry both plastic bases off the center console.
3.- Get an outlet that has enough wire lengths (8-10") or add wire of the same gauge to reach across the console.
You can remove the screws that hold the A/C control and pull it forward so that you can thread the wires easier.
4.- put everything back inverse of how you took apart.
The blank just pops out.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Pedro,

Thanks for the response. I'm not seeing anything on either Radio Shack nor Amazon that seems to fit "12 volt DV outlet". Can you point me to a link so that I know what we're talking about?

I was of the impression that the cig lighter is a 12V outlet. I don't want to light anything, just power stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew
[www.radioshack.com]

Pedro Bonilla

Here's what I installed in the Spec Boxster, in the original location of the cig lighter. It has a screw-on mounting ring. I had to trim a small amount of the factory cig lighter hole sleeve to fit. It would probably fit w/o modification in a blank hole. Just wire it to any available 12V, either switched or not, depending on what you prefer.

It's very similar to the following item, which I found by searching just now. There are many variants of this you can find. Some have a flat front plate or cover flap, which you can discard.

12V dual USB power plug
More details
Boxsterra - 7 years ago
You'll have to decide if you want a plug that is always on (easy) or switches on with accessories (harder) or ignition (easy)

Lighter parts
996-652-101-10-A05 Socket
996-652-102-10 Lighted retaining ring

Tap into the "phone accessory" plug behind the console for power. Wiring is:
Brown - Ground
Yellow - mute signal to radio
Green - Switched 12v (on with ignition, not accessories)
Red - Unswitched 12v

There's a pretty good picture of the power plug and access to it in this thread:
[986forum.com]

Eventually I decided I wanted a dedicated fuse so I used one of the spare slots in the fuse panel and ran the wires under the dash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2016 07:35AM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
Thanks so much for the response.

You are running back to the fuse panel? Other solutions have suggested splicing onto the existing 12V socket?

Am I pulling too much power if I splice?

I don't mind 'always on'. I just pull the connector when I park or leave it in if the phone needs to charge while I run in to the store.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to light a cigarette - just to power GPS, phones, etc. I'm hoping that's been clear from the start with discussions on parts.

Thanks again to everyone.

Andrew
You can reuse the power from the other cigarette lighter. You will be sharing a 15A max between the two but that is plenty for GPS, phones, etc. plugged into both outlets.

One other consideration is that if you do blow a fuse and you have two circuits you have a backup but that's probably just unnecessary paranoia and easily solvable by carrying a spare fuse anyway.

It's clear what you're trying to do. The parts I recommend look best (IMO) in the car since they are stock and match the other side.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login