Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
[www.youtube.com]

Mark Webber likes the sound! ...
... or did Porsche have to make a TV commercial with Mark Webber endorsing the sound of the 718 to convince us that it's fantastic?
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2016 07:17AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Pedro (Weston, FL)
[www.youtube.com]

Mark Webber likes the sound! ...
... or did Porsche have to make a TV commercial with Mark Webber endorsing the sound of the 718 to convince us that it's fantastic?
Happy Bolstering,
Pedro

....now Pedro, you're not suggesting that just because Mark drives for Porsche..... Na, they'd never do that.

I haven't had a chance to drive a 718 yet. When I was at the dealers a few weeks ago, I didn't have a lot of time, but the salesman did start up a 718 Boxster (base) for me. The sound reminded my of my old VW Beetles. When the 981 came out, I couldn't wait to try one out. With the 718, like the sound of the engine, there's no real urgency to drive one. I will eventually, when I have a bit more time to take one out for a test drive.
Let's see, communication device in ears; fire hoodie and helmet on, yes, about the right attire for making the 718 sound good from inside the cockpit. Will Porsche sell those as premium accessories instead of forcing folks to upgrade to the PSE?
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
This is a clever commercial and fun to watch. OK OK, I get it, the new sound in this car is the warning of the coming of the Apocalypse and everyone would rather buy a Prius than put up with this aural travesty. But this is a television commercial, and one specifically aimed at those, like PPBoarders, who are convinced that this change is the worst thing to happen to cars in living memory, and at least it shows that Porsche -- or its ad agency -- has a sense of humor and humility. Maybe they'll produce a special glasspack muffler.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
[pedrosboard.com]

"Cool Prius!"

-Nobody
I received my 718 Boxster two weeks ago. I had a 2014 Boxster and in every way, I like the 718 better than the 981. The acceleration is unbelievable and the electronics have been upgraded and the handling is much better. The sound seems good to me especially low RPM acceleration and when you let off the gas. For those of you that seem to think that sound is the only criteria for a sports car I suggest you buy a bicycle, get a large boom box, play the sound you like and you will have your ultimate sports car. All I can say don't berate the whole car for one point you don't seem to like, especially since you haven't even driven it to see how much better it is in other ways.
It's nice to read that you're happy with your new car so far. There is a lot to like about it.

However you haven't been paying attention if you think that the only issue many of us dislike about the 718 is the sound. It's noise is just the most obvious YUCK.

Good luck with your new purchase....but it ain't nearly settled for a large majority.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2016 07:31AM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
I did have a pretty decent test drive outside Pocono Raceway on a really nice winding road. Objectively -- smoothness, comfort, power, etc its a superb car. The sound is something that is likely best judged after some time. I did have some concerns though - there certainly IS turbo lag, and much less communication through the steering and chassis compared to my 986 series cars (admittedly, both pretty hard edged).. My concern with the turbo lag is not on the street so much as non-linear i=or unexpected stuff on the track. The "feel" is another issue, and, again, i think I'd need hours to see if I adapt. Different is different, and one must be careful nto to confuse it with "bad" -- but that said, the march or progress has been numbers over feel for 40 years.

Now, i planned to get 30 minutes on Watkins Glen in a new 718 Cayman S two weeks back, but some complications had me limit my time to a few laps in an intermediate run group (might have had something to do with being in a car that hit the wall at speed the night before....). So my real chance to wring it out in "anger" was very limited. I'm holding off until I fix that.

What i can say is that the 981 series cars were a real chassis step-up from the 986/987 series (which were pretty similar). From my experience driving them on track and especially at autocross ( as well as 100s on the street) they are just plain better planted - fewer handling quirks. I could turn times in a student's, new-to-me car that were nearly as good as i could in my own car running at the limit. That says a LOT. I cant yet say much similar (pro or con) re the 718, but I know its faster to accelerate.

As a GT which is how 95% of these cars are used, i suspect it just IS better. As a real drivers car, where holding things near and at the edge is the whole enjoyable challenge, and where that visceral feel -- not efficiency - is the end goal (else why not take the bus right?), I have some reservations so far. But only time will tell.

Who else has really driven it?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Excellent write up and analysis Grant. I've read several others that come to the same conclusion, as did I in my test drives posted here several weeks ago. While it's been a long time since I did any serious tracking, I still enjoy hanging it out there once in a while, and I'll take a NA six for that everytime.

grant

What i can say is that the 981 series cars were a real chassis step-up from the 986/987 series (which were pretty similar). From my experience driving them on track and especially at autocross ( as well as 100s on the street) they are just plain better planted - fewer handling quirks. I could turn times in a student's, new-to-me car that were nearly as good as i could in my own car running at the limit. That says a LOT. I cant yet say much similar (pro or con) re the 718, but I know its faster to accelerate.

As a GT which is how 95% of these cars are used, i suspect it just IS better. As a real drivers car, where holding things near and at the edge is the whole enjoyable challenge, and where that visceral feel -- not efficiency - is the end goal (else why not take the bus right?), I have some reservations so far. But only time will tell.

Who else has really driven it?

Grant

Spot on.

On the city street driving I did, the car felt nimble. Not sure how much of that was the new Pirelli PZero tires or the changes to the rear suspension but it felt a bit more responsive and lighter to steering inputs.
Other than that, the added TQ and the twin pipe noise maker at the rear of the car, it is mostly the 981 driving experience. At 5-6/10 driving I'm not sure how many will notice much difference except for the TQ and the noise.
ritchieg
I received my 718 Boxster two weeks ago. I had a 2014 Boxster and in every way, I like the 718 better than the 981. The acceleration is unbelievable and the electronics have been upgraded and the handling is much better. The sound seems good to me especially low RPM acceleration and when you let off the gas. For those of you that seem to think that sound is the only criteria for a sports car I suggest you buy a bicycle, get a large boom box, play the sound you like and you will have your ultimate sports car. All I can say don't berate the whole car for one point you don't seem to like, especially since you haven't even driven it to see how much better it is in other ways.

Welcome to the board Ritchie. Interesting to hear your first hand experience with both the 2014 and the 718. And that your 718 seems much improved over your 981.

As a matter of interest and comparison, could you describe your two cars Boxster? Boxster S and the options you had / have on each since those have a bearing on performance and handling.

Would love to see pictures of your new ride.

FWIW, I don't think anyone has said that sound is the ONLY thing that matters to a sports car enthusiast, but it is one of the important elements.
Ritchieng, welcome and glad you like your car. There are some old curmudgeons here that have a hard time with change. Porsche people have a hard time adapting. I'm old enough to remember when the new 911 was despised by the 356 guys. The water cooled cars received a cool reception and folks still haven't gotten over Porsche making SUVs and sedans despite the fact that they allow Porsche to continue building and racing great cars.

Now here is my old guy kvetch, why do these cars keep getting so BIG and FAT! My 987 Cayman seems so trim next to the the 981 and 718s and tiny compared to new 911s.

winking smiley
dennisafrompa

Now here is my old guy kvetch, why do these cars keep getting so BIG and FAT! My 987 Cayman seems so trim next to the the 981 and 718s and tiny compared to new 911s.

winking smiley

I hear that a lot and agree that the 981 looks bigger than a 987 -BUT in reality the 981 Cayman has exactly the same dimensions as the 987 (length and width), although the 981 is slightly lower. Also, the 981 is lighter than the 987 by about 50 pounds. I know that my old car cover from my 987 Boxster also fits my 981 almost perfectly.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Please Mike, don't let facts get in the way of an old curmudgeon's 'kvetch'. drinking smiley eye rolling smiley

Gary in SoFL
Please Mike, don't let facts get in the way of an old curmudgeon's 'kvetch'. drinking smiley eye rolling smiley
Well, they do look bigger and despite Gary's assertion that I don't deal in facts, according to GTPORSCHE magazine, a UK publication, the 981 is listed as 72mm longer, about 3" and an inch wider. If they are incorrect then I guess I am.
Supposedly 3" longer and 1" wider in ten years....wow! And you sharp eye calls that "so big and fat". I don't think so. tongue sticking out smiley

Here is what I found:
Length
Cayman:
2009–2012: 4,376 mm (172 in)
Width
Cayman: 1,801 mm (70.9 in)
Height
Cayman: 1,305 mm (51.4 in)

Length
Cayman:4,374 mm (172 in)
Width
Cayman:1,801 mm (70.9 in)
Height
Cayman:1,293 mm (51 in)
At his age, Dennis must have a shrinkage issue. winking smiley

Both the 981 and 718 are base because I didn't think I needed the extra performance driving around San Diego. The main reason I wanted to get a new Boxster was that in 2014 many of the options I wanted were not available. I wanted Keyless entry and start, blind side protection, backup camera and adaptive cruise control,so when they announced the 718 as a new model and it had all those options, I decided to get it. I loved the 981 and really enjoyed driving it. But I can honestly say that it is much more fun to drive the 718. I am on the Planet 9 board and 90% of the posts tear up the 718 but I bet 95% of the people have never been in one or driven it. Again please reserve your judgement until you have driven it. I tried to put some pictures here, but couldn't seem to do it. I did put a bunch on the Planet 9 board under the heading "New 718 pictures" My 981 was optioned heave with creature comforts and no performance enhancements. The same with the 718. Here is a list of the 718 build.
Lava orange, Black top, Leather Interior in black, PDK, 20” Carrera Classic Wheels, Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Change Assist, Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel, Rear and Door Model designated Painted Black, Supplemental Safety Bars in Exterior Color, Power Steering Plus, Navigation Module, GT Sport Steering Wheel, Interior Package Painted, Power Sport Seats (14 Way) with memory package, Voice Control, Headlight Cleaning System Covers in Exterior color, Premium Package Plus.
Thanks for the background and info. It makes sense why you Iike the new 718 and why Porsche will do well in sales with the 718 if this is the new generation of buyers. Nothing wrong with that either as things are always changing..just have to accept it. There are some old school Boxster owners here who don't care so much about the creature comforts and fancy gadgets in their Porsche. They just want the raw simple experience they can get in a small, lightweight, chuckable sports car, flick thru the gears with a stick shift and manual clutch, hear that intake roar and engine scream (not an engineered deep crackling burble sound) up all the way to redline. These guys don't care about keyless entry, blindside monitoring, cameras all around the car (yes, our family SUV has all this, but I don't care for it at all on my sports car)...all that noise is extra weight and takes away from the raw, simple sports car theme of the original Boxster. But, times are changin, and a four cylinder turbo is what times mandate now and what makes sense for Porsche in this model line. Hopefully, the flat six will stay alive in the 911 range for a while. Glad you like your new car though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2016 07:54AM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
boxtaboy
Thanks for the background and info. It makes sense why you Iike the new 718 and why Porsche will do well in sales with the 718 if this is the new generation of buyers. Nothing wrong with that either as things are always changing..just have to accept it. There are some old school Boxster owners here who don't care so much about the creature comforts and fancy gadgets in their Porsche. They just want the raw simple experience they can get in a small, lightweight, chuckable sports car, flick thru the gears with a stick shift and manual clutch, hear that intake roar and engine scream (not an engineered deep crackling burble sound) up all the way to redline. These guys don't care about keyless entry, blindside monitoring, cameras all around the car (yes, our family SUV has all this, but I don't care for it at all on my sports car)...all that noise is extra weight and takes away from the raw, simple sports car theme of the original Boxster. But, times are changin, and a four cylinder turbo is what times mandate now and what makes sense for Porsche in this model line. Hopefully, the flat six will stay alive in the 911 range for a while. Glad you like your new car though...

Agreed, the market for this type of car is changing from the hard core sports car buyer of past years, to more conventional drivers that want the features available on their coupes and sedans. If you want to sell cars, you have to equip them with what the buyers are looking for and Porsche has done so.

Always thought the 981 should have had a b/u camera and glad to see Porsche making it available--except b/u cameras come standard on a lot of lower end cars, whereas Porsche keeps it as a extra cost option. I guess that's one way of insuring the highest margins in the industry.
MikenOH
boxtaboy

Agreed, the market for this type of car is changing from the hard core sports car buyer of past years, to more conventional drivers that want the features available on their coupes and sedans. If you want to sell cars, you have to equip them with what the buyers are looking for and Porsche has done so.

Always thought the 981 should have had a b/u camera and glad to see Porsche making it available--except b/u cameras come standard on a lot of lower end cars, whereas Porsche keeps it as a extra cost option. I guess that's one way of insuring the highest margins in the industry.

Back up cameras will be mandated for all new cars by 2018, so probably won't be an extra charge item. One thing less Porsche can charge you for...
[www.autotrader.com]
I agree with MikenOH and boxstaboy. You have a very nicely optioned Boxster with all the creature comforts and options that do most of the driving for you. Nothing wrong with that if what you enjoy is a great looking car to cruise in.

You mentioned that your 718 handles much better than your 981 did. I'm just curious under what conditions did you make those comparisons? Mostly city driving around San Diego? Malibu Canyon carving? I take it that with the options you chose that you don't track the car.
Guenter in Ontario
I agree with MikenOH and boxstaboy. You have a very nicely optioned Boxster with all the creature comforts and options that do most of the driving for you. Nothing wrong with that if what you enjoy is a great looking car to cruise in.

You mentioned that your 718 handles much better than your 981 did. I'm just curious under what conditions did you make those comparisons? Mostly city driving around San Diego? Malibu Canyon carving? I take it that with the options you chose that you don't track the car.

Guenter, I nominate you the guinea pig here- you have a current 981 to make a valid comparison. Go to your dealer where you bought it new and tell em that you were curious how the new 718s compare to your previous version with the flat 6. Tell em you'd like to take one out (a manual tranny version) out for a test drive. Tell us what your impressions are after the drive. Only then will we really know. LOL!
boxtaboy

Guenter, I nominate you the guinea pig here- you have a current 981 to make a valid comparison. Go to your dealer where you bought it new and tell em that you were curious how the new 718s compare to your previous version with the flat 6. Tell em you'd like to take one out (a manual tranny version) out for a test drive. Tell us what your impressions are after the drive. Only then will we really know. LOL!

I'd love to take you up on that. When I was at the dealer the last time, they had two 718's both with PDK. I also didn't have a lot of time, but did get the salesman to fire a 718 up for me. It really did remind me of the sound of my old VW Beetles at idle. Once I have a chance to get my hands on one with a manual, I'll take it out for a test drive.

MikenOH had a chance to take a few different 718's out a few weeks ago. Since Mike tracks his 981, I'd say he is a pretty darn good judge of the handling, as well as overall impressions of both cars.
[pedrosboard.com]
Backup camera is now standard equipment on the Boxster. In fact I think it is required on all new cars.
boxtaboy
Thanks for the background and info. It makes sense why you Iike the new 718 and why Porsche will do well in sales with the 718 if this is the new generation of buyers.......Hopefully, the flat six will stay alive in the 911 range for a while. Glad you like your new car though...

Exactly. This 718, as spec'ed out is not your father's Boxster.

So far I haven't figured out how to post pictures on this board. I do have some on Planet 9
... to PB.
I'm glad you like the 718. I do too.
I'm sure that every Boxster owner, whether they accept it or not is a little envious. I am.
Now that you posted for the first time we hope that you keep doing so and become involved with the group.
I'm sure many PB members will have questions about your new car.
Please post some pictures.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2016 06:41PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login