Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Got a 1411 Cel code a few weeks ago. Reset the code and it hasn't come back on. Thing is, my NJ state inspection expires this month, and since clearing the code, I have 5 of 8 readiness codes complete and 3 incomplete. Took the car out for a 1-hr drive today on highway and town roads, and came back, threw on the code reader and STILL 3 codes incomplete! Arrgghh! Incomplete cycles are: O2 sensor, catalyst and EVAP. Ok, rant over..the drive was fun though...
There's a really good hotdog place on the north shore of Lake Erie. drinking smiley

Hope you get it all sorted in time.
Thanks G. By the time I get there, my readiness codes should be all set. smiling smiley
Isnt it annoying?
grant - 7 years ago
The whole inspection process in NJ, where ANY code, important or not, disqualifies you.... Grrrr.

Hope you get it sorted. Took me forever to get my readiness set all over an EVAP code that was probably just a loose gas cap.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2016 08:18AM by grant. (view changes)
grant
The whole inspection process in NJ, where ANY code, important or not, disqualifies you.... Grrrr.

Hope you get it sorted. Took me forever to get my readiness set all over an EVAP code that was probably just a loose gas cap.

Grant

Darn, and I thought you could pass in NJ with 7 of 8 codes ready!
Move to Florida - no car inspection program! smileys with beer

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
... in FL.
Up until the new century there was inspection required statewide.
But they figured out that because more than 50% of FL registered cars were rentals (which are generally less than 2 years old) we really didn't need the program which cost a bunch of money to the taxpayers because of the inspectors, stations, monitoring, etc.
Now we can tune our cars and not worry about a loose gas cap winking smiley
Happy Bolstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
in order to get the readiness monitors all set to complete but I have found that just a rather sedate 30 mile -- and it may be less I just never bothered to check this -- commute drive is sufficient for both my Boxster and my 996.

My basic commute starts with a cold engine start followed by just enough idle to the point the secondary air injection pump shuts off and the idle speed drops then I head out onto city surface streets with a few stops and safe and sane acceleration to the freeway. Then once on the freeway -- nothing ferocious yet as the engine is still cool -- a steady cruise at "freeway" speeds (anywhere from stop/go in places -- most of the time -- to a steady 65mph (rare unless I am driving to the office early Sunday morning) -- until about a mile or two from work when I leave the freeway and it is surface streets on to the office.

Be aware too that if you check the readiness monitors -- with the engine off or on but cold -- and find a few incomplete they may complete by the time the engine is run enough, the car driven enough to fully warm up the engine.

When I'm ready for a smog test I use my OBD2 code reader/data viewer to occasionally query for readiness monitor status and before I pull in to have the car checked I only do so when all monitors are set to complete.
I live in VA. My inspection place is maybe a quarter of a mile from my house. Car is seven years old, and have never had an issue (knock on wood) getting the car inspected by driving it straight there to be prodded and probed.
db997S
I live in VA. My inspection place is maybe a quarter of a mile from my house. Car is seven years old, and have never had an issue (knock on wood) getting the car inspected by driving it straight there to be prodded and probed.

My MO has to always drive the car enough before the test to ensure the engine/exhaust system are fully up to temperature and to confirm the readiness monitors are complete. The tech will check the readiness monitors -- at least the place I use the tech does this -- "on his own" before he hooks up the official test computer for if any readiness monitors are not set to complete this can result in a failure right off the bat and the trouble (and expense) of a retest later.
try to mimic that chart. It is supposed to be "normal" driving.....
I haven't verified any of this info but there seems to be a general sentiment that driving over 60 mph or 3k revs invalidates the drive cycle for some of the readiness checks.

Some relevant discussion here:
[www.6speedonline.com]
Boxsterra
I haven't verified any of this info but there seems to be a general sentiment that driving over 60 mph or 3k revs invalidates the drive cycle for some of the readiness checks.

[www.6speedonline.com]

That has not been my experience with either of my cars. With both I've broken 60mph and 3K RPMs a number of times during the drive cycle and all readiness monitors get set to complete.

I just avoid hammering on the car even after the engine is fully up to temperature. If one uses too much throttle the DME can go open loop under hard acceleration this might invalidate the drive cycle.
MarcW
Boxsterra

[www.6speedonline.com]

That has not been my experience with either of my cars. With both I've broken 60mph and 3K RPMs a number of times during the drive cycle and all readiness monitors get set to complete.

I just avoid hammering on the car even after the engine is fully up to temperature. If one uses too much throttle the DME can go open loop under hard acceleration this might invalidate the drive cycle.

When I took my car out for the drive, I drove it like I stole it for a good amount of the drive for fun, so I'd say that's what prob did it. winking smiley
boxtaboy
MarcW
Boxsterra

[www.6speedonline.com]

When I took my car out for the drive, I drove it like I stole it for a good amount of the drive for fun, so I'd say that's what prob did it. winking smiley

Oh that will do it then. If one just wants to set the readiness monitors to complete avoiding driving like it is stolen is required.

Now there can be a call to sort kind of drive the car like it is stolen.

The smog test before the last one (or maybe it has been two back? I can't remember for sure now) after the Boxster failed the emissions part because of at least one reading being too high -- I forget if it is was HC or CO2 or NoX -- when I consulted (separately) with both techs at the dealer both gave almost identical recommendations: Take the car out and drive it pretty hard then take it in for re-test.

Did pretty hard driving part for about half the time but then on the way back to town got stuck behind a CHP cruiser and had to behave all the way back to town about 20 miles or so. In hindsight this was probably fortunate because with this more sedate driving the readiness monitors had a chance to complete because all were complete and the failing emissions reading was way down into the "pass" zone and the car passed the 2nd test without any problems.

But it was this scare that prompted me to replace the noisy converter with the loose brick. But the most recent test didn't involve the exhaust sniffer just the computer plugged into the car's OBD2 port. Still I'm glad the noisy converter with the loose brick is gone and ever since it was replaced the CEL has remained off. No more P0430.
Ok, painful to do so, but drove her like a grandma and now EVAP has registered, so now only missing 02 sensor and Catalyst monitors. Yay. Still got some time prior to the end of the month to get this sorted. hehe
I got in the car with Tori. Installed the code reader and had her check "live" for the IM readiness codes. We drove from here to near Gundo's - back through New Canaan. As we got to Meade park the codes cleared and we drove straight to the inspection bay. Voila. done.

There is a chart with the kinds of driving which need to be done. I know I varied the gears and stuff to simulate the chart.
Thanks JM. Maybe I'll give that a shot and do a live run with the scanner in. Didn't realize you could do that...
Passed!...
CarreraLicious - 7 years ago
On the last day too before expiry. smiling smiley. Took it for a one hour drive trying to get the last code (catalyst) to register. First half hour of drive no dice. Last leg back did around 2500 rpms at 4th gear for like 10 minutes straight. Did the trick...drove straight to the state Inspection station and the fun began. First guy told me to get outta the car and stand by the side of the building (while other folks with their cars could stay in their cars in the pass seat)...not sure why. Then, he starts my car and revs it a bit. Not sure why. Then, he takes my car on the dyno to rev it some more. None of the other cars get this treatment. Hmmmm. Then, another dude who weighed about 500 lbs decided he wanted to sit in my car too just for fun. I didn't know someone that big could fit in the car, but I was wrong. Now, I'm always glad if someone admires my old Boxster, but I honestly thought he was gonna rip open my leather seat when he got out of the car after his big grin on his face. At least he had a good time. First guy gets back in the car, drives her forward and then tells me I'm all set. Well, she passed, and I won't have to go again for another 2 yrs. the P1411 cel hasn't resurfaced so I'll chalk it up to an anomaly. Thanks to everyone for the tips on how to get all the readiness monitors active.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2016 11:42AM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
you'll be able to take it out and drive it like you stole it again. grinning smiley

Enjoy.
Yes, thanks. It was painful driving 40mph on the highway for so long.smiling smiley
boxtaboy
Yes, thanks. It was painful driving 40mph on the highway for so long.smiling smiley

Yup. It's like telling a kid, here's an ice cream cone. Enjoy, but you only get one lick per minute.
Guenter in Ontario
boxtaboy

Yup. It's like telling a kid, here's an ice cream cone. Enjoy, but you only get one lick per minute.

Yep, so not cool! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login