Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Has anyone done any real reading on the prospective BMW Z-5?

I ask because I'm struck that there is no real competition for the Boxster in terms of a relatively inexpensive two-seater around today (a niche that was full of cars in decades past). The new 'Vette, really nice though it is, is more a 911 competitor and a different kind of car, in any case; the MX-5 has a lot going for it, but doesn't seem to be suitable for long trips; and the Nissan Z just doesn't seem to appeal to anyone, possibly because it looks like a tank.

I like the idea of a solid BMW sports car but the Z-3 and -4 have been pretty disappointing.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Rumor has it, BMW is teaming up with Toyota to revamp the Z platform. You may not see the Z5 until 2018 MY. Have not seen or heard anything more than that, but i haven't proactively sought information, either, as I'm not a BMW person. Never even come close to buying one. Did test drive 3-Series many moons ago, but it never floated my boat.
Yes, the tie-up with Toyota seems real.

We have a BMW 3 series with 250K on it, which still drives like a dream. I'd consider a Z-5 if it were better than the Z-3 or -4.
I owned a 2002 Z3 for 13 years. Bought it new in February 2002. I had to sell it because my lower back problems worsened to the point I couldn't sit in the car for more than an hour. Bought the 2010 Boxster in 2013 and couldn't be happier. The only issue has been a broken shift cable fixed under the factory 4 year original warranty. By all I was able to find out a very unusual problem. My point is that the 987.2 bought used represents an outstanding bargain. Of course, owning a Boxster out of warranty is always a gamble, but I like the odds with the 987.2. I wouldn't be looking at a new 2 seat sports car myself.
Re: My experience
MarcW - 7 years ago
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans)
Bought the 2010 Boxster in 2013 and couldn't be happier. The only issue has been a broken shift cable fixed under the factory 4 year original warranty. By all I was able to find out a very unusual problem.

Broken shift cable is a bit unusual. My 2002 Boxster is on its original shifter/cable with over 303K miles. But my used 2003 Turbo at around the 30K mile mark suffered a broken shifter cable. Needless to say based on my experience with my Boxster this came as a big surprise. The ball socket end failed and let the ball on the end of the cable come out. Fixed under CPO warranty. Had a new 997 shifter intalled which is a nice improvement over the stock 996 Turbo shifter.
One was very sloppy (210k); the other was badly worn (60k), and then failed at the hands of a driver who missed a shift racing.

Both now have numerix solid -end cables whcih feel sooooooooo much better (which i admittedly find surprising)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login