Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Has anyone done any real reading on the prospective BMW Z-5?

I ask because I'm struck that there is no real competition for the Boxster in terms of a relatively inexpensive two-seater around today (a niche that was full of cars in decades past). The new 'Vette, really nice though it is, is more a 911 competitor and a different kind of car, in any case; the MX-5 has a lot going for it, but doesn't seem to be suitable for long trips; and the Nissan Z just doesn't seem to appeal to anyone, possibly because it looks like a tank.

I like the idea of a solid BMW sports car but the Z-3 and -4 have been pretty disappointing.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Rumor has it, BMW is teaming up with Toyota to revamp the Z platform. You may not see the Z5 until 2018 MY. Have not seen or heard anything more than that, but i haven't proactively sought information, either, as I'm not a BMW person. Never even come close to buying one. Did test drive 3-Series many moons ago, but it never floated my boat.
Yes, the tie-up with Toyota seems real.

We have a BMW 3 series with 250K on it, which still drives like a dream. I'd consider a Z-5 if it were better than the Z-3 or -4.
I owned a 2002 Z3 for 13 years. Bought it new in February 2002. I had to sell it because my lower back problems worsened to the point I couldn't sit in the car for more than an hour. Bought the 2010 Boxster in 2013 and couldn't be happier. The only issue has been a broken shift cable fixed under the factory 4 year original warranty. By all I was able to find out a very unusual problem. My point is that the 987.2 bought used represents an outstanding bargain. Of course, owning a Boxster out of warranty is always a gamble, but I like the odds with the 987.2. I wouldn't be looking at a new 2 seat sports car myself.
Re: My experience
MarcW - 7 years ago
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans)
Bought the 2010 Boxster in 2013 and couldn't be happier. The only issue has been a broken shift cable fixed under the factory 4 year original warranty. By all I was able to find out a very unusual problem.

Broken shift cable is a bit unusual. My 2002 Boxster is on its original shifter/cable with over 303K miles. But my used 2003 Turbo at around the 30K mile mark suffered a broken shifter cable. Needless to say based on my experience with my Boxster this came as a big surprise. The ball socket end failed and let the ball on the end of the cable come out. Fixed under CPO warranty. Had a new 997 shifter intalled which is a nice improvement over the stock 996 Turbo shifter.
One was very sloppy (210k); the other was badly worn (60k), and then failed at the hands of a driver who missed a shift racing.

Both now have numerix solid -end cables whcih feel sooooooooo much better (which i admittedly find surprising)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login