Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
In August of 2001, I decided to put my ’72 914 restoration on hold a buy a ’99 Boxster with 12,000 miles and it has been an amazing run! 15 years and 127,000 miles later, I decide it was time for another change. My 1999 Boxster was without a doubt, the best car I’ve ever owned. Since it went out of warranty in 2003, it has been to a mechanic once because I couldn’t perform the contortions required to R&R the coolant tank. Along my way to 139,000 miles, I replaced the water pump twice, the AOS twice, and a few other wear items. I changed the oil myself every 5,000 miles and never had an RMS or IMS issue, both are original. I figured if I replaced the clutch, I’d elect to upgrade the IMS bearing and install DOI, but the clutch was still going strong.

The car is my daily driver and traffic is getting worse every day here in the Bay Area, that, along with a faulty left knee helped pull the trigger on a, “new to me” 2014 981S with 10k miles. I have been having a blast playing with my new toy, particularly the significant bump in HP & torque! I did drive the 718, but liked the feel and sound of the Flat 6, not to mention the $27,000 off the original 2014 window sticker. I prefer to let someone else take the big depreciation hit, as I tend to hold on to my cars.

My ’99 provided so many great memories. The car was stolen by bank robbers while being serviced at the dealer shortly after I bought it. Many amazing drives with fellow BABBLERS (Bay Area Boxster Board Listers), the local Boxster Forum. Porsche-Palooza I, II, III & IV. My 16 year daughter learned to drive a stick in the Boxster. I drove the ’99 for 15 years and 127k miles and NEVER got pulled over! My wife probably put a few hundred miles on the car and got TWO speeding tickets! I learned so much about these cars from Porsche Pete’s and Pedro’s Board, Babblers and 986forum, my first post on PPBB.com about throttle hesitation introduced me to the Art of MAF Cleaning and so many other valuable tips.

Looking forward to the next 100,000+ miles!

Looking back...

First pic of the new ride…

What a great story, Bob. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. Your story sums up what these cars are all about. Great as DD's, for trips and the feeling they give those of us lucky enough to be driving them. I'm sure you'll always remember that car since it obviously gave you a great deal of pleasure.

Love the transition into your new 981 S. I'm sure you'll find that this new one will be just as much fun, but as you've already felt, it's even better.

Best of luck with your new ride.

We'd love to hear more about it - options etc. ...and more pictures don't hurt either. smiling smiley
experience.

Remembered you got it back in pretty good shape. The bank robbers didn't drive it like they stole it.

I recall however a mishap occurred when I think a dealer employee tried to block the car in.

Keep a close eye on this new car!

At just 10K miles the 2014 model is still new. Should be a dream car.

The new 718 model Cayman tempts me but the big discount on a lightly used 2014/2016 Cayman tempts me, too.
Old and new look great. Hope you have another great experience with the replacement.
... congrats on the 981S. Great and beautiful machine.
It is kind of sad though, when an old girl gets traded in for a newer one.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
so one has to go. I am actually leaning towards keeping the Boxster believe it or not and selling the Turbo. Part of me believes it kind of inviting bad karma to get rid of the Boxster after all the good service it has provided me over the years and 304K miles. The Turbo even with less than half those miles not so much. The Turbo has been the car equivalent of what I imagine it would be like to have a bazillion dollars and a trophy wife with no pre-nup agreement in place. While nice to look at, and in other ways a pleasure to be with, extremely high maintenance and expensive too boot.
MarcW
so one has to go. I am actually leaning towards keeping the Boxster believe it or not and selling the Turbo. Part of me believes it kind of inviting bad karma to get rid of the Boxster after all the good service it has provided me over the years and 304K miles. The Turbo even with less than half those miles not so much. The Turbo has been the car equivalent of what I imagine it would be like to have a bazillion dollars and a trophy wife with no pre-nup agreement in place. While nice to look at, and in other ways a pleasure to be with, extremely high maintenance and expensive too boot.

What's the purpose of your 2nd car?.... to use as a beater, or daily driver? Is there even a reason for the 2nd car if you can use either the Turbo or Boxster for all your needs? If a single car can do it all for you then, offload the Boxster...it's served you well and then some, as well as the Turbo (which you don't seem fully happy with), and go with the one new car (or new to you) that you think you can be happy with. The newer Porsches (even the lower ranges) have the kind of performance that can compete with the 996 Turbo, so you shouldn't miss it that much.
boxtaboy
MarcW

What's the purpose of your 2nd car?.... to use as a beater, or daily driver? Is there even a reason for the 2nd car if you can use either the Turbo or Boxster for all your needs? If a single car can do it all for you then, offload the Boxster...it's served you well and then some, as well as the Turbo (which you don't seem fully happy with), and go with the one new car (or new to you) that you think you can be happy with. The newer Porsches (even the lower ranges) have the kind of performance that can compete with the 996 Turbo, so you shouldn't miss it that much.

Both cars share work commute duty and errand running, though I tend to use the Boxster more for in-town errand running saving the Turbo for like if I have to drive further away.

I feel the need to have 2 cars in case one's in the shop. I live 30 miles away from work and public transportation is not a real option for me. And calling in "sick" is not an option either as it is not in my nature to miss work for any reason if I can help it.

When I take a car in I don't always get a loaner car -- cause I didn't buy either car from the local dealer -- and rental cars are often in short supply where I live. So it is nice to drop a car off at the dealer and catch a shuttle ride the mile or so to my house and grab my 2nd car and use this until the other car is finished.
MarcW
......The Turbo has been the car equivalent of what I imagine it would be like to have a bazillion dollars and a trophy wife with no pre-nup agreement in place. While nice to look at, and in other ways a pleasure to be with, extremely high maintenance and expensive too boot.

Marc, Marc, Marc....with a bazillion dollars who cares!

Super trophy wife, new GT3, and full speed head. The maintenance will be a rounding error! drinking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary in SoFL
MarcW
......The Turbo has been the car equivalent of what I imagine it would be like to have a bazillion dollars and a trophy wife with no pre-nup agreement in place. While nice to look at, and in other ways a pleasure to be with, extremely high maintenance and expensive too boot.

Marc, Marc, Marc....with a bazillion dollars who cares!

Super trophy wife, new GT3, and full speed head. The maintenance will be a rounding error! drinking smiley

Should have read "would be like to *not* have a bazillion dollars".
"Cool Prius!"

-Nobody
2.5L base to 3.4LS... and 15 years... Mayflower to Enterprise (NCC-1701, not the boat).

I suspect over time what you'll really feel is how similar they are in concept. Except on the track, the allure of power is fleeting, the feel of a unified chassis is lasting.

Put another 139k on it. I promise the new one will never eat an IMS. (winky)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Congrats....nothing like a hot new girl to reinvigorate your blood flow.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
in the difference between the two; I hope to be able to trade in my '01 986 in 2017 or '18, probably for an off-lease 981.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Was that in Lake Tahoe? That pic was taken before I drove up and parked next to the basalt black S. Remind me, who are the guys taking the challenging camera shot?

Good luck with your new ride!

I just drove the 718 S at the Porsche Zentrum at the Quail in the Carmel area (Monterey car week). We got to drive in the hills for a bit. Far better acceleration and handling. Even with the sport setting, much more of a touring experience (than my '00 S) than I desire. Not impressed with the 4 cylinder sound.
Congrats Bob!
SMILIN - 7 years ago
...and a lot of nice memories. I've decided that I'll be buried in my '98...but that doesn't mean that i'm not also thinking hard on a late model flat 6. smileys with beer
Congrats on the new one! Thanks for sharing stories about your 986.
Thanks for the well wishes. It was tough letting her go, but as reliable as she's been, the frequency of minor issues was climbing. The clutch slave recently failed and brake light switch failed, I replaced them both, but I also started seeing CEL codes for the variocam sensor which is a $700 part and requires the cam cover to come off... stretching my DIY skills and $$$. Also seeing O2 sensor codes. These "mature car" issues lead to reliability concerns when considering long distance road trips.

There are several obvious benefits; the jump from 201hp - 181ft/lbs to 315hp - 266ft/lbs is a blast and the quiet, solid ride, free of squeaks and clunks is welcome. The convenience of blue tooth, hands free phone, nav and a fully functioning remote (mine hasn't worked for years) is really appreciated. The car has a few nice options; Agate Grey Metallic, PDK, 20" Carrera Classic Wheels (painted grey to match the body color AND brake dust winking smiley ), Sport Chrono Package, Convenience Package and the Infotainment Package w/ Bose Surround Sound.

The most noticeable difference for me is the visibility. I feel much lower is the car. I feel like I don't know exactly where the corners of the vehicle are and reversing is a bit more challenging than in the '99. All in all, I love my new Boxster S and I'll post a few more pics soon.

The pic with the line of Boxsters and the gymnastic photographers was for the West Coast Boxster Fest in Tahoe. The "tripod" is Kevin_C From Saratoga and the guy with the camera is Andy from Portland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2016 09:31PM by BoxsterBob - San Carlos. (view changes)
I loved your story, too, Bob. I may someday in the future trade up to a 981 to get the modern conveniences and HP/torque boost, as well as the sharper styling. A BGTS is my dream car. Wonder what one will go for in about 5-7 years?

But since my 986 is still sort of new to me, and my first P-car, I am in love. Could it use a little more power? Yes (maybe Santa will bring me a TechnoPower2 kit?) Is the body styling and plastic interior dated? Yes (although I always look back at it when I walk away). But the purely analog, mechanical and feeling of driver involvement is just perfect. As they say, you'll never forget your first - so I want this love affair to last for many more years.

Good luck with your beautiful new girl, but always hold dear your 986.
Your 981 will serve you as well as your 986 did, but with a bit more gusto. smiling smiley
Congratulations on your new car . You still have an open invitation to come up to our Boxster Brunch Oct. 1st. We all would like to see you and Joannie in your new ride. Everyone else is also invited.

[www.alicesrestaurant.com]

George & Carol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login