Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
E85?
babamoto - 7 years ago
[drive.google.com]

Do any of you guys, or ladies if you are one, use E85 (ethanol/pump gas mix) in your Boxsters or other Porsches (maybe GT3s)? Does it damage Porsche engines? A neighbor kid says the only difference he's noticed is that his Nismo GTR engine takes a couple of extra tries in the morning to turn over. Hm.

Babamoto
Los Angeles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2016 05:57PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
... that Porsche discourages the use of any fuel containing more than 10% ethanol. Note that the octane rating of ethanol based fuels need not be low; in fact ethanol itself has a very high octane rating (~ 109) and can be used to raise octane. The issues come with a) seal stability (ethanol attacks some plastics) and water absorption. It absorbs water rapidly and then separates into gas and water/ethanol/sludge. It also breaks down more rapidly than gasoline.

My solution to our 10% problem is to use the fuel quickly. I try not to keep fuel for more than a few weeks.

I suppose that one could also add "dry gas" occasionally.

I would not use e85. Maybe a chemist here will add a lot more color. My chemistry has been deteriorating for 30+ years :-)

here's an article from moss motors:

[www.mossmotors.com]

With all the caveats of the variable quality of comments in forums, here's one with some good comments and thoughts on rennlist:

[rennlist.com]

My bottom line:

fuel lines and some fuels wont like it
fuel separation is an issue, but can be actively managed if you understand what to do
mixture must be adjusted away from (gasoline calibrated) 14.7:1
motor itself doesn't much care and might like the higher octane.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: E85?
MarcW - 7 years ago
babamoto

Do any of you guys, or ladies if you are one, use E85 (ethanol/pump gas mix) in your Boxsters or other Porsches (maybe GT3s)? Does it damage Porsche engines? A neighbor kid says the only difference he's noticed is that his Nismo GTR engine takes a couple of extra tries in the morning to turn over. Hm.

Babamoto
Los Angeles

Grant covered it.

I will add I'm not sure Porsche has signed off on the idea of running 15% ethanol that I guess the EPA is trying to shove down everyone's throat. No way E85 is sanctioned by Porsche.

The Porsche engine management system is not designed/intended to detect/determine the amount of ethanol in the fuel system. As a result the fueling would be wrong. The DME would try to correct this but without the ability -- so to speak -- to recognize E85 (or some blend between a "pure" E85 and E85 mixed with E10 in some ratio) and on the fly adjust its thresholds it would likely go too far and trigger a CEL.

The engine would need lots more fuel. While the engine tolerates 14.7:1 air:fuel with ethanol free gasoline and E10 (or something in between) in the tank pure E85 would require an air/fuel mixture around 8:1. The injector duty cycles would be much higher and would probably result in shorter injector life. There is the question too of whether the fuel system would be capable of supplying sufficient fuel as the fuel flowing through the system would nearly double. At higher engine speeds/loads the engine might run lean due to insufficient fuel supply.

Let the neighbor kid have his fun. In the meantime my advice is for you to stay the heck away from E85. The Porsche engine will tolerate E10 (and word I have is refiners have stayed below 10% ethanol instead E10 is more like E7 or E8) without harm but beyond that you would be in uncharted territory and a Porsche engine is not what I would use to experiment with different and unsanctioned fuel blends.
Re: E85?
babamoto - 7 years ago
Alrighty, thanks for the data and the common sense. I ain't gonna mess with E85, at least in the Porsche.
Thank you, Marc and Grant for your thoughtful and informed responses. I really appreciate it.
Baba

MarcW
babamoto

Babamoto
Los Angeles

Grant covered it.

I will add I'm not sure Porsche has signed off on the idea of running 15% ethanol that I guess the EPA is trying to shove down everyone's throat. No way E85 is sanctioned by Porsche.

The Porsche engine management system is not designed/intended to detect/determine the amount of ethanol in the fuel system. As a result the fueling would be wrong. The DME would try to correct this but without the ability -- so to speak -- to recognize E85 (or some blend between a "pure" E85 and E85 mixed with E10 in some ratio) and on the fly adjust its thresholds it would likely go too far and trigger a CEL.

The engine would need lots more fuel. While the engine tolerates 14.7:1 air:fuel with ethanol free gasoline and E10 (or something in between) in the tank pure E85 would require an air/fuel mixture around 8:1. The injector duty cycles would be much higher and would probably result in shorter injector life. There is the question too of whether the fuel system would be capable of supplying sufficient fuel as the fuel flowing through the system would nearly double. At higher engine speeds/loads the engine might run lean due to insufficient fuel supply.

Let the neighbor kid have his fun. In the meantime my advice is for you to stay the heck away from E85. The Porsche engine will tolerate E10 (and word I have is refiners have stayed below 10% ethanol instead E10 is more like E7 or E8) without harm but beyond that you would be in uncharted territory and a Porsche engine is not what I would use to experiment with different and unsanctioned fuel blends.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login