Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I will be putting Pagid Yellows on my 986S next week in preparation for 3 days at VIR. This will be my first DE with other than OEM pads, I will be using existing OEM drilled and slotted rotors. Do I need to follow Pagid's very specific bedding instructions? A very respected and experienced track guy here told me not to worry about it, he said just drive it to VIR and they will be bedded. (3.5 hour drive). I really trust this guy's opinion but I'm wondering why would Pagid go to the trouble if it wasn't important. Is the bedding procedure only for getting the last few percent performance gains?
My three cents
grant - 7 years ago
1. they may NOT be bedded when you get there, but to some degree, who cares? They might judder for a run group, but they will bed themselves at the track.

2. I have never been able to successfully bed high temp pads on the street - i cant get the heat needed without causing danger to others or my license. Even when i try, refer to #1 above :-)

So its worth trying to get heat progressively, and then let it cool before you stop ( which is what they are mostly telling you to do). But don't be disappointed if its doesn't work.

Others may have other input.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
... before you head out to the track just keep in mind that they are high-temp pads.
When cold they will not have the same braking power as when hot, on the track.
I prefer driving on the roads with the OEMs and then installing the track pads at the track.
You can bed them in on the first session in the first couple of laps.
Just grid last, so there's no one behind you which will allow you to hit the brakes hard and almost come to a stop without having anyone behind.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I had them in our car for the past three years and had a new set installed last fall; used both at the track and on the street. A very good pad on the track--long wearing, easy on rotors and good stopping ability.Teamed with NT01 tires they're an awesome combo on the track.Not terribly loud on the street in my driving cycle.

After they were put on, I did the stops from 50-70mph and letting them cool, just to get some material transferred out of the box so there wasn't as much drama in getting the car stopped on the street.
Your trip to VIR should transfer material to the rotors, but your first session will really bed them.

Since you have the open top calipers, pulling them isn't a big deal if you want to go back to street pads after the track events.I don't bother since I have to pull the caliper and use new caliper bolts every time.
Thanks guys for the responses. I think I will drive around here carefully a bit and do some preliminary bedding to check them out to make sure they are good for the road trip. There are some country roads nearby where I can do the bedding (some of it) safely. Can't wait to see how they work.

Thanks for the advice,

Newt
pads and that counts for something.

A 3.5 hour drive might have the brakes only lightly bedded in. I can drive 3.5 hours -- on a highway -- and hardly even touch the brakes and certainly not in a way that brake bedding in calls for.

The bedding in process wants to get the pads nice and hot which will drive out the more volatile compounds. These turn to vapor under heat and tend to act to prevent the pad and rotor from making good contact.

Furthermore, if one is not careful uneven material deposition can take place and then the brakes will pulse when used. This can happen for instance if on your 3.5 hour drive you have to make an emergency stop. If the brakes start pulsing when the pedal is applied the only way to deal with this is to resurface the rotors.

I would attempt if not a full Pagrid bedding in procedure as much of one as I could before heading out.

Once at the track then if you can arrange it complete the bedding in process before you get serious with the car.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login