Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Fiat 124
JackintheBoxster - 7 years ago
I had no idea until I saw one in a mall yesterday that Fiat is resurrecting its 124 Spider as a modification of the Miata MX-5. Just a quick check of the initial reviews seem pretty promising for this car, combining Japanese reliability with some Italian style is a good idea. One of the biggest problems of the Miata from my point of view is its lack of luggage space and its uncomfortable ride for long trips. However, I'd be anxious to see how this car evolves out.

If the car does well, it may be good news for those of us on the board. Another entry into the sparse population of relatively inexpensive two-seaters (and "inexpensive" applies less and less to the Boxster by the year) has got to be good news. In addition, success of this car, combined with any problems selling the Subaru 718 might encourage Porsche to revisit the idea of a more basic sportscar below the Boxster as it ascends into 911 performance and pricing.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Re: Fiat 124
Roger987 - 7 years ago
The early reviews/comments are positive. I recall fondly New England road trips in the original 124. I much prefer the new 124's styling to that of the new Miata.

Compared to the Boxster, it's down on power and space. (Nonetheless, it could be a fun car, though not as capable a long-distance runner).

The performance, amenities, interior appointments and price of the 981/718 have moved it into the 'bargain exotic/super car' field, as contrasted with the 'expensive entry-level sports car' field.

There would be room for a modestly price entry level Porsche sports car, but Porsche doesn't appear ready to go there. Interestingly, Porsche has now introduced a more modetly powered Macan.
Waiting to see how the car shakes out in the longer term, but just watched a video on the Abarth version. This is what Porsche should be building; car looks really nice, really driveable. Not clear if it has much storage space or would be good for five-hour drives.

But it SOUNDS GREAT WHEN YOU START THE ENGINE.
Re: Fiat 124
KevinH2000 - 7 years ago
I owned two Miatas (a 90 "B" package and a 94 M Edition) before I bought my Boxster. I think that there are many Boxster owners that followed that path, so I think there are more than a few folks that are checking out the reviews.

In Dan Neil's review in the WSJ he mentioned that a few wags are already calling the 124 the "Fiata."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login