Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I have the older 3 button key (lock/unlock, frunk, trunk) as shown below. Bought this key from eBay from a guy who forgot to give this key to the person he sold his car to. I want to take the blade and pill from my old key which has worn out buttons and transfer it to this new key. How can I remove the key blade?...I don't see anything to press to release the blade. Also, where is the pill? I know that the key won't work unless I transfer the immobilizer pill also. Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 09:26AM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
The RFID pill is that small (usually dark) glass capsule located in the half with the blade attached. In the pic you can see the pill in the upper right half of the housing.

Be careful removing the pill you don't want to break it. There is a small plastic "catch" that is partially over the pill that you can gently push over and help release the pill. I don't want to experiment with my keys but I believe if you push that catch over with the housing upside down the pill will just fall out. Do note which end goes where. I don't know if the position of the pill is sensitive but just to be safe install it with the same orientation in the new housing as it had in the old housing.

For the blade there is a block of plastic in the corner to the left of where the blade fits into the body that you have to push back just enough that you can slide the blade out. If you look directly down at the housing you can see some small shiny "sliver" of blade and the plastic block wedged against it to prevent the blade from coming out.

The end of the plastic block opposite from where it wedges against the blade has a small spring you can see. It is the force of this spring that keeps the block tight against the key and the key secure.
Thanks Marc. I just figured it out around same time you posted. smiling smiley
You just pull back the small piece with the spring in it, and it comes out. Then the key blade comes out. The immobilizer pill is right below it (the piece that looks like a capsule). Swap those out and you gotta brand new key. It works on the car fine, and not bad for only $30 bucks!...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login