Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
After 150+K miles, the tiptronic transmission needed a rebuild.
Got the car back and drove it for about 40 miles... notice some missed shifts, some lurching, and rough shifts in city traffic (10-40 mph between lights).
The first 20 miles had a lot more "rough shifts" ...maybe about 8? than the last 20... two? Most were between going from 2nd to 3rd, some between 3rd and 4th.
They typically happen after 5 miles of driving.

Anyone with experience in the first 100 miles with a rebuilt tiptronic transmission?
It doesn't seem right, but just wondering if there is any "break-in" period with a rebuild transmission or if that thinking even makes sense.
Am bringing it back in to the shop this morning, but thought I would ask.
RainyDayGarage
After 150+K miles, the tiptronic transmission needed a rebuild.
Got the car back and drove it for about 40 miles... notice some missed shifts, some lurching, and rough shifts in city traffic (10-40 mph between lights).
The first 20 miles had a lot more "rough shifts" ...maybe about 8? than the last 20... two? Most were between going from 2nd to 3rd, some between 3rd and 4th.
They typically happen after 5 miles of driving.

Anyone with experience in the first 100 miles with a rebuilt tiptronic transmission?
It doesn't seem right, but just wondering if there is any "break-in" period with a rebuild transmission or if that thinking even makes sense.
Am bringing it back in to the shop this morning, but thought I would ask.

break in.

What you are experiencing is not going to be cured by break in but is probably due to a problem with the rebuild.

If you are advised a break in is required be sure you get the particulars as to how long this will take and what you should expect or not expect as the break in progresses and when this "break in" issues will be gone and the Tip performs as it should, with *no* drama.

I would probably be seething inside as I asked these questions and carefully wrote down the answers for I would of course realize the shop was blowing smoke.

But do it I guess so when the the problems continue, or probably get worse, you have given the shop the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not an expert but with the problems like you are reporting from the outset my guess is the rebuilt Tip will be unlikely to continue to work as well as it has and the Tip might eventually deteriorate to the point it leaves you stranded.

Also, the Tip will likely not be a good candidate for a 2nd "rebuild" but will probably just have to be replaced.

I will add that I did have an auto transmission rebuilt, the one in my Dodge D200 pickup. The transmssion worked just fine from the moment I drove it away from the shop to the time -- I can't recall how many miles I had on the transmssion as this point -- the u-joint at the transmssion end snapped -- this after I had new u-joints installed at the dealer a the dealer's insistence. The dealer accepted responsibility for the broken u-joint and the damaged transmission and replaced the damaged drive shaft parts and the transmission with a new one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2016 10:52AM by MarcW. (view changes)
Brought it back this AM... they are going to take a look at the torque converter.
There is a 3yr, 36K warranty on the rebuild and apparently many of the BMW/Audi/Porsche dealers locally use them...so I'm not that worry that I'm going to get stiffed.
about Tip rebuilds. The question comes up often enough on the forums.

They told me these are common transmissions and there are often a number of reputable rebuilders around.

That you picked a shop that many BMW/Audi/Porsche dealers use is good thinking on your part. I'm a bit worried the shop didn't check the torque converter before installing the Tip but what do I know?

Anyhow, best of luck.

Oh, just so it is clear the Tip should not need any break in to work right. No one who has bought a new car with a new Tip (or PDK, or manual for that manner) has ever reported any issues that were resolved with some use. While I would not take a newly rebuilt Tip to the race track or drag strip the Tip should work right right out the box.

Might ask the shop what it recommends in the way of an early Tip fluid/filter service. You understandably want to maximize the service life of this rebuilt unit.
They are the one used by the local dealer.
[www.fnatrans.com]
FNA took the car back and returned it a week later. Have driven it for about 50 miles and have experience no problem with the tiptronic missing shifts in city traffic.
Have not taken it on the highway yet just due to the lack of time, but it is looking good.

According to Gerardo's where I took the car, FNA takes really good care of their customers and the 3-year / 36K mile warranty is their way of backing up their work.
Anyway, hope I'll be able to get to 200K before I'll have to do anything more :-)
However, I had similar problems after the rebuild of my Camaro tranny several years ago.

They had to reopen the case and found a seal or o-ring was not properly seated. Once reassembled ran like a dream - right after return.

I would guess that the internals would require at least a minimum time to seat in etc. So I would not autocross or anything. But I would not (and did not) do anything special to break in.

Obviously, my experience might be relevant - or not.

Good luck.
... reprogramming the Tip.
Because the tranny was removed and completely disconnected, the module may have lost or may have corrupted some of its RAM.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login