Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
MY 2000 986 removing entire mechanism for weight.

I do have Bentley, but was looking for some BTDT write-up if such exists,

Thanks,

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Have a look at this link:

[www.renntech.org]

FWIW Maurice is the Boxster soft top expert.
Maurice (aka 1stchoir) also wrote this one up and items 1 thru 5 cover the top removal/unbolting from the car.
Just curious, how much weight does that save, you using a hardtop, or making the soft top manual?
But from what i understand its roughly a wash, i may save a *little* weight with the hard top.

But it is superior in many ways for a track car - better visibility, slightly better protection, easier to maintain, etc.

I believe they are required for all forms of club racing in PCA as well.

Beside that, i was faced with the need to replace my top - the plastic had become opaque and torn. The onyl real answer for solid visibility was buying a 2003-4 glass window soft top, but that is still a small window, and less weather-proof. Plus the soft top becomes pretty flappy at 120+ mph.

Grant

Grant

Thanks, but sounds worth it if you were going hardtop anyway. Lots of weight if you left the soft top in the car and simply put the hard lid on it.
its gotta go even if i kept a soft top

Grant

grant
But from what i understand its roughly a wash, i may save a *little* weight with the hard top.

But it is superior in many ways for a track car - better visibility, slightly better protection, easier to maintain, etc.

I believe they are required for all forms of club racing in PCA as well.

Beside that, i was faced with the need to replace my top - the plastic had become opaque and torn. The onyl real answer for solid visibility was buying a 2003-4 glass window soft top, but that is still a small window, and less weather-proof. Plus the soft top becomes pretty flappy at 120+ mph.

Grant

Grant
Just out of curiosity, how solid do you think the hardtop mounting is in the event of rollover? I've seen pics of cars that rolled with a soft top in place and for the most part they were in tact, but the mounts on the hard top make me wonder if they could handle it.
Well,
grant - 7 years ago
The front mounting is identical - same anchoring mechanism entirely.

The rear is two metal receptacles, with two metal pins that slide in, and then are tightened with a lever. They cinch down pretty tight.

All spec boxsters (must) have hard tops.

It seems a bit better overall.

Maybe Pedro knows better - he's a PCA scrute for SPB.

G

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login