Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
[jalopnik.com]

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Well, back in early 2009 I looked into an air-cooled 911, a 993 model specifically. Back then desirable but nothing fancy -- no Turbos or special editions -- just run of the mill and very important unmolested examples -- albeit in good condition -- were $40K+. When I talked to the senior techs at the local dealer about air-cooled 911's both said if I buy the car bring it in and they'll give me a list of what needs attention to address all the shortcomings/issues.

So in this case -- had I gone forward -- the car would have cost me $40K+ and then who knows how much on top of that? The car could have very well ended up being a $70K car.
I was a a local Indy's place the other day and heard the same story. A guy had bought an early 80's SC with an engine that had never been touched and now decided to go through it. The deeper you get into it, the more apparent what the needs are--which means more money.
Given the prices of Porsche motors, trannies and the like, it's always expensive so having deep pockets--and a strong stomach--is a requirement.
The 911 air cooled prices have gotten so crazy in the last few years that if you've had one for a while, you can't help but make money on it if you want to sell it. A guy I know decided to sell his RS America because it had appreciated so much it was too expensive to track; I'd guess he'll get double what he paid 6 years ago since it's a very nice car.
Interestingly a local Porsche dealership has had a 1995 993 in its showroom for quite a while. I saw it when I was over getting a new key and, at least superficially, it looked to be in pretty good shape. I would have thought it would be gone by now.
JackintheBoxster
Interestingly a local Porsche dealership has had a 1995 993 in its showroom for quite a while. I saw it when I was over getting a new key and, at least superficially, it looked to be in pretty good shape. I would have thought it would be gone by now.

What was the price? If a car doesn't sell generally it is a matter of price. My WAG is the dealer had a heck of a mark up on the car.
$55K can get that 21 year old 911 or it can buy a much newer 911. Someone would really want the air-cooled experience to spend that kind of money -- plus who knows how much more to address any issues -- vs. buying a newer albeit water-cooled example.
I'm a little surprised it's still around, although maybe they're selling it on commission or something and don't need to lower the price.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login