Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Does anyone know how to access the top of the engine bay on a Porsche 981 Boxster? I know how to get the top in the service position, but I don't know how to get the fabric liner out, and worse, how to put it back under the rubber strip at the top. Pedro, maybe you could make instructions for this, along with photos, like the one you did for the previous model.
yes, tutorial would be great, but in a pinch!

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
As far as maintenance, most of it can be done without accessing the engine bay of the 981.

Engine air filters (there's one on each side) are accessed / replaced from the trunk by removing the trunk liner..

This video shows most of the process of getting at the engine bay. There's one part not shown, with the top in service position, I believe there is a / are a couple of stape(s) that need to be detached and they can only be reached by removing the screens in the roll bar hoops and reaching through to access those straps.

[youtu.be]
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I watched that video, and it's good, except for the one thing I need to know. I can get the top in the service position, but there is a liner over the engine bay that I need to remove. I don't know how to do this, and more importantly, how to put it back. I took a little of it off, and getting it back under the rubber trim around the top was really difficult. I know I only need to access the bay to bleed the cooling system after draining the coolant, but I may need to do that.
Not sure if this'll help, but here's two more videos on how to access engine (one on a Spyder and one on a Cayman).

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]
The Spyder helps, but he doesn't show how to put the liner back, which I found very difficult. The rubber retainer is very stiff. He said the Boxster S was much more difficult. I suspect I might have to get the roll-bar trim off, if I knew how. Thanks for this info, though. The Cayman looks much easier. If you find any more videos, I'd sure appreciate seeing them.
I'm sure you'll find lots of good information here.

We'd love to hear a little more about you and your 981. Options? How long have you had it? Pictures. We'd love to see what you car looks like.
It's a dark blue base. Only options are metallic paint, and dual-zone AC. I only bought that to get the wind stop. Car is so well-equipped that I didn't need anything else. Only one warranty repair so far-High pressure fuel pump failed. Victoria Porsche Centre was very good. Flat-bedded car to Victoria, and brought it back to me. Love the car! It's a 2013, and I've had since November of 2012.
Well, I got bold and accessed my engine bay. It's not nearly as easy as previous models, but if you're interested, here goes.
First, put your top in the service position. If you don't know how to do that, it's a little more involved than previous models too, and I'll go over that after this.
Remove the carpeted liner from the back of the cabin. You will need this off to reach the top 4 screws on the cover.
Remove the 2 speaker housings Torx T30. All screws for this are T30's. Need to remove these to get access to outside 2 screws.
Pull the liner from the slot under the back of the roll bar.
Move top a little forward, so there is enough room under the window to slide out the liner and insulation.
From inside the convertible top bay, remove two black plastic caps on left and right corners of liner. Torx t30 to remove screws.
Pull liner out of rubber moulding, and pull it out. Then pull out insulation.
You now have access to the engine bay cover. Remove 8 screws you can access from the bay. Go inside the cabin and remove the top 4 screws. All torx t30.

To put it back, first put all 12 screws back in the cover.
Push insulation back in place. You might have noticed a length of square gray foam came out with this. I'll get to that later.
Push the liner as far as you can under the window. You won't be able to get it all the way in.
Put the top back in the service position.
Go into the cabin reach over the roll bar and pull the liner toward you as far as you can.
Tuck the end of the liner into the slot under the roll bar.
Go back into the bay and tuck the liner under the rubber molding. Strong fingers help here.
Replace the 2 black plastic caps on the corners.
Go into the cabin, and push that piece of foam I mentioned into the space under the roll bar.
Replace the speaker housings and the carpeted liner.
Take top out of service position and replace windstop screens.
You're done! Congratulate yourself, have a rest and a drink!

Putting top in service position.
Open the top until there is about 100 mm between the edge of the windshield and the first top bow.
Remove the windstop screens behind the headrests. Reach through the openings and feel for a wire cable on each side. Slide your hand to the bottom of these cables
and you'll feel a small ball. Pull these to the center of the car to disconnect them. Try to remember where they were for re-connection.
Now move the top until there is about 470 mm between the windshield and the top bow.
Open the rear lid, pull the bottom bow of the top that's under the back window past the rubber moulding. You'll need some strong fingers for this.
There is a strap clipped under this bow. unclip it.
Pull the bottom bow, along with the window up until this strap can be hooked on the edge or the first top bow.

To release from service position, release the strap, re-clip it under the bottom bow, and push this bow down past the moulding.
Put the top in the first position, above.
Reach through the roll bar openings and pop the cable balls back on their attachments. You may have to feel around for a while to find these attachments.
Install windstop inserts and close the top.

From inside the cabin, reach over the roll bar, grab the liner and pull it toward you.
Now that I've done it, I hope I never have to do it again. Not fun!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login