Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
[thegarage.jalopnik.com]

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
the car has covered around 240K miles and still runs well suggests it has been properly taken care of and not abused. It probably hasn't suffered any serious accidents as the car would have probably been declared a total loss in this case and would be spending the rest of its life in a salvage yard slowly giving up its parts.

The early 996's came with the dual row IMS bearing which IIRC is a rather robust bearing. With those big miles I believe the engine is not going to fall prey to the D-chunk problem. The 3.4l engine is the least stressed engine of the 996 family of engines, being just 3.4l vs the later models with the 3.6l engine, so other components should be quite long lived.

(Kind of like my 2.7l 2002 Boxster engine which I might mention has covered over 305K miles and continues to impress me with how well it runs.)

Anyhow, the 996 car appears to be a southern CA car so it probably has little to no exposure to snow/salt and probably not much rain either.

With a low purchase price the biggest expense of owning a vehicle has been addressed, that of depreciation. And with a low purchase price the buyer has some or should have some money left over to address anything that might come up. About the time I think I don't want to put any more money into my Boxster I just price a reasonable replacement and the extra money a replacement would require me to come up with makes the expense I'm facing seem paltry by way of comparison.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login