Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
VIR Video
grant - 7 years ago
Track footage:

Short and sweet. One lap of VIR with data overlay. Black run group. Sadly, to preserve the motor and keep it running right, i was forced to “short shift” nearly 2000 rpm below redline, which vastly limits power.

But it still gives a good feel of the new pavement and a quick (through the twisties anyway) lap around VIR.

One Lap with Data - Black RG

And here's a full run group (combined black/red where you can see the almost comical speed difference to some of those cars and drivers!)

Red/Black Combined Run Group - Fast, sonorous cars.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 07:00PM by grant. (view changes)
Fantastic! keep workin' it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Looks like you had perfect weather for the event.

Agreed on the mixed run group visuals--when the Red/Black runs groups are mostly high HP cars with experienced drivers, you end up seeing a lot of tail lights go by at speed. At VIR, the track is long enough and has enough straights to help clear the trains out, but you have to keep your eye on the RV mirror at all times because of the closing speeds.
At Mid-OH it's getting to the point where I'd rather run in the White group because of all the high HP cars there; combined with the short track and expanded passing in the black/red groups, you don't have a lot of time to concentrate on your technique because there's always somebody on your tail.
.. in White passes can be hard to come by (remember my HP deficit), where in BK/Rd they are fast (if infrequent). I should quickly add that MOST people are good, but all it takes is 2-3 to ruin a bunch of laps. Even more, in white passes can be tentative. Going? Hurry up! or ill-executed (chopping me? really?). I prefer the traffic management but with nice, quick passes. I don't mind sharing a corner if Trust the other individual.

G

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2016 11:31AM by grant. (view changes)
Re: VIR Video
newt - 7 years ago
Nice driving. Very smooth up the climbing esses, South Bend is such a hoot, it never looks as freaky on video as it feels in the car...good stuff
its a scary turn, and when you're learning (VIR was my 2nd ever DE, 6 years back) everyone drills in its danger.

But that somehow made it a challenge to learn the turn and get it right. And yea, it's a pucker turn at speed.

Last year final day it rained most of the day. four of us had hired a pro coach. The other three were on slicks, so they were out of the game. So Bill and I went out and stayed out until the fuel light came on :-) he finally gave me the ba11s to four-wheel-drift ever so slightly through 10, which meant corner exit around 68 mph. What a feeling when i got it right! And no, i didn't plow the field.

The good news is that's one BIG field, but shoudl you "save it" unsuccessfully, the left hand side has one close tire wall.

G

Grant

Was that Bill Foster? He is an awesome coach...
He's a phenominal coach and knows VIR like the back of his hand. I rode with him one time 3-4 years ago and was amazed. Then, last month I had him for 3 days as my instructor (I'm still in Blue) and did 1 day on the north course and 2 days on the south course. Learned sooo much from him. He had just spent several days teaching VIR to a pro driver who came in town to run in the IMSA Sports Car race...
Re: VIR Video
Van914 - 7 years ago
Grant,
Great videos. Saw a few of my friends cars from Ohio. Looks like a great weekend.
Hal's one of a kind :-)

Grant

Remarkably, yes.
grant - 7 years ago
He even got in front of the drivers meeting and gave a public thank you to the NNJR team.

And he walked up to me during tech to make sure we'd be ok since he had his car apart changing brakes.

Following the rules? Hal? Imposter.

He's a good guy - and that's a fast car ( the new red one)

G

Grant

Hal is a funny guy and a good Joe--always willing to help.

BTW, that video I posted here a few years back of the battling GT3's at VIR involved him--with a pro driver driving his car-- and Mueller of your club in his 996. Hal was in the right seat and said it was a heck of a ride.
That was Hal's car? I thought it was the "Man of Steel" car.... a buddy of his. No matter

G

Grant

Yup, that was his 997.2GT3, originally white , but he did a blue/orange wrap on it.
Here's that video:
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login