Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
We had a little mishap on the weekend, and my wife backed her q7 into my 2001 Black Boxster S. I was not a happy camper, anyways she did bring it to 4-5 different local body shops to get estimates done on the repair on Monday....

We will likely be putting it as a claim on her insurance... She's been with the same company for over 15yrs and never did an at fault claim....

The driver side door is scratched up and dented a bit, and the rear quarter panel has an area that is dented about 1"....

I can't find how to attach a jpeg.....stolen bandwidth from rennlist.

One shop wants to cut out the quarter panel and replace.... seems a little excessive....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2016 01:58PM by Petee_C. (view changes)
Some jerk at a restaurant put a nice crease in the driver's door and left. I paid for the repairs out of my pocket. Work was done by an excellent shop in the ATL area that knows Porsche's well. I assume they pounded the dent out and smoothed it with body filler. I can't imagine that you need to cut out and replace the quarter panel. They probably need to replace the air intake and when they are doing that they should be able to get to any dents in the quarter panel and pound them out.

I just found the receipt. It cost $713.50 back in 2005. They did remove the air intake and the rear tail light to blend the paint when the door was resprayed.
Thanks,

3 of the shops would fix the dents, the one shop put a quote in for new door and rear quarter panel.... $8000cdn after tax.

The other 3 shops were in the $2500-3000 cdn price range (after 13% sales tax)....

I'm not sure if the door handle would be replaced or repaired, same with the vent... Neither is broken, but both have minor scrapes into the plastic.. I'm not sure if they would do some sort of epoxy repair to build that area up?
The vent piece can always be replaced, too. If three shops are quoting the same ballpark, then defiantly do not go to the $8,000 place. Their eyes probably popped out of their head, like in a cartoon, when they saw a Porsche roll into the shop. I'd ask your dealer and/or mechanic if they are aware of the three shops that are comparable in price. Also, check out their lots to see what kind of wrecked vehicles are waiting to be repaired. If none are highend, go to the see the others. Next time, however, have her do damage to the front trunk lid. That way you can get the insurance to pay to remove all the stone chips. Good luck. it's a bummer, but try not to hold it over your wife's head for too long.
If I were you I would buff out the scratches/scrapes and leave it as-is.
The denting doesn't look too bad from the pic.
Seeing mis-matched paint in the right lighting (e.g. at a gas station) would bug me more than minor dents.
My two cents is:
grant - 7 years ago
1. all of that should be correctable by pulling the metal (tack weld, slide hammer or even induction softening...), with very little filler and no parts.

2. Find a good shop by talking to your local PCA friends - Concours, track shops. Both have lots of experience.

3. As noted, paint matching is hard. Ensure a quality shop that will blend well.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Grant,

That is what I am thinking as well... The $8000 quote is from the local bmw & Mercedes 'approved' collision center, I have no interest in taking it to a Porsche approved place as they are too far. Either one is At least a 3 hr round trip in good traffic (60 miles to the big smoke).

There is scraping along the door handle plastic (the part you pull up on) and across the plastic intake louvre, Both can probably be fixed with epoxy, although I think I would prefer a new door handle as you actually use that each time you drive. The intake I don't mind plastic repair on...

I'm almost settled on one of the body shops my mechanic recommended, as well as a local rennlister.... and then we'll start the insurance process and get both the boxster and the q7 fixed under one claim... My wife has promised she is done hitting cars in driveways and parkinglots....

I've just emailed pics to my mechanic and will followup with him as well... I think he will say to fix, not replace....
We have an outfit near us called Carisma that is great, They fixed a dent on my rear trunk lid that I got at a construction site. It took less than an hour and cost $100 if I recall, I watched them do it.
Carisma
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login