Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I found a receipt for my Autozone - Size Group 48 battery (traditional lead acid type), and was shocked to see that it's almost 8 years old! The battery has not given me any trouble, and doesn't exhibit any starting weakness at all. I keep it on the factory Porsche battery tender each winter as needed. I am now seeing that most places like Pep Boys, Autozone, and Sears carries AGM type batteries which are supposed to be better than the traditional lead acid type. Are these worth it?..they are a little heavier than the lead acid batteries, and I also read that you need to check if your battery tender is compatible with AGM. I want a battery that is under 40 lbs if possible (my old Autozone one was at 38 lbs), but these AGMs seem heavier.
and it was still in the car when I sold the car in September 2015 (and I believe it is still in the car). I can't remember exactly when I bought the battery and the mounting plate, but I believe it was sometime in 2006-2007 (receipt passed to the new owner last year). It has worked flawlessly. I am a real fan of them, and will probably put one in my 2016 GTS when the time comes.

If you are worried about a couple of pounds, there is always the option of taking it out of the driver..... winking smiley
jg atl
and it was still in the car when I sold the car in September 2015 (and I believe it is still in the car). I can't remember exactly when I bought the battery and the mounting plate, but I believe it was sometime in 2006-2007 (receipt passed to the new owner last year). It has worked flawlessly. I am a real fan of them, and will probably put one in my 2016 GTS when the time comes.

If you are worried about a couple of pounds, there is always the option of taking it out of the driver..... winking smiley

Thanks, I sorta want to keep the existing mounting set up though. As for the taking it out of the driver, I lost 25 lbs recently, so I've done that too! smiling smiley
I have used the autozone replacements in several vehicles without issue. I got the ones with the higher warranty.

At least one they replaced under warranty - no questions asked and right in the lot.
JMstamford,ct
I have used the autozone replacements in several vehicles without issue. I got the ones with the higher warranty.

At least one they replaced under warranty - no questions asked and right in the lot.

I know...and still going. I will prob stick with Autozone, but even with them, they offer AGM (platinum model) along with lead acid (gold). Gold is only 38 lbs. The platinum AGM is 46. smiling smiley
I typically either buy a) what my local friendly shop sells (typically interstate) or b) Sears DieHard Professional. I put a DieHard AGM battery in my audi:

negatives; costly, heavier than lead-acid (really!, and a lot more too)
positives: very stable and long lasting - despite sitting a lot, it never even begins to drop below 12.something volts

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
I typically either buy a) what my local friendly shop sells (typically interstate) or b) Sears DieHard Professional. I put a DieHard AGM battery in my audi:

negatives; costly, heavier than lead-acid (really!, and a lot more too)
positives: very stable and long lasting - despite sitting a lot, it never even begins to drop below 12.something volts

G

Thanks Grant. I may just stick with the traditional lead acid then, as 8 yrs and never not starting during those 8 yrs is pretty good to me.
You might even look at Walmart. I recently tried Autozone, O'Reilly's and they were both
way more expensive. Also, When replacing the battery, It's a good time to clean any
corrosion found and pull the battery tray and clean out any debris plugging the drain holes, etc.
Larry Nakamura
You might even look at Walmart. I recently tried Autozone, O'Reilly's and they were both
way more expensive. Also, When replacing the battery, It's a good time to clean any
corrosion found and pull the battery tray and clean out any debris plugging the drain holes, etc.

Thanks..good advice.
Honestly,i have 2 battery Tenders and dont use either one.I find they all just boil the batterys.I find that batteries like to work and letting them drain off
and then be charged up is the beat way for long life.I charge my battery at the end off the season prior to storage then disconnect the Negative battery terminal only and leave
it that way until the spring and then put the battery on a charge and drive it!.I have been doing it this way on all my other toys and it just works.I tried the tender on the porsche
and found the battery did not last as long and i just wasted electricity. Do what u like ,this is my findings.Also worth noting is that after diconnecting for entire winter
when i hooked back up i never experienced any problems or issues with radio ect that a simple running car for 5 minutes dident solve.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login